Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

What to do if her period frightens her?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM
  • 24 Replies

Some tween girls welcome getting their first period. But for many, it can be a frightening experience!

What should I do if my daughter is frightened by getting her period? Share your answers here!

We might feature some of your responses in our new Advice section!

Thank you for your help!

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:14 AM

bump

stuswf
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Maybe she's afraid she is 'bleeding' like when you cut yourself.....explain the process.....look on amazon to preview books on this topic, if you find one you like check it out from the library..,,,talking & communication go a long way ......remind her that most all girls have one, & she's not alone:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wenchmommy381
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:59 AM
2 moms liked this

The best thing I think a parent can do is talk about these changes before they happen. My mother told me that her period scared her, because no one told her what it was. So she told me about it three years before it happened to me. Emphasizing that puberty is normal and natural helps allay fears.

ksbondgirl
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

"The Care and Keeping of You" by American Girl is a great way of introducing this topic.  It covers just about everything.  It even goes into how to handle boys and to remember to keep your emotions in check.

The thing that scared my dd was that it illustrated how to use a tampon but I told her that she didn't have to use these if she didn't want to and I explained why tampons are used.  That made her feel better.

cowboysgirl3227
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I completely agree, this book is great.  It helped me not only explain it to my daughter but also helped her understand it more and she felt comfortable with asking questions about it.  She was bothered by the idea of tampons as well so I just explained to her that it was a very personal preference that each girl has to make.  I love the parts about handling emotions it was great.

Quoting ksbondgirl:

"The Care and Keeping of You" by American Girl is a great way of introducing this topic.  It covers just about everything.  It even goes into how to handle boys and to remember to keep your emotions in check.

The thing that scared my dd was that it illustrated how to use a tampon but I told her that she didn't have to use these if she didn't want to and I explained why tampons are used.  That made her feel better.

ksbondgirl
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Not only this but if they are too embarassed to ask you a question, they can always refer to the book.

Quoting cowboysgirl3227:

I completely agree, this book is great.  It helped me not only explain it to my daughter but also helped her understand it more and she felt comfortable with asking questions about it.  She was bothered by the idea of tampons as well so I just explained to her that it was a very personal preference that each girl has to make.  I love the parts about handling emotions it was great.

Quoting ksbondgirl:

cowboysgirl3227
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM

So true :)  I wish I would have had this book when I was that age.

Quoting ksbondgirl:

Not only this but if they are too embarassed to ask you a question, they can always refer to the book.

Quoting cowboysgirl3227:

Quoting ksbondgirl:

anime.princess
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I'm pretty sure that any girl who had been properly informed about periods will not be scared aboout it.  I wasn't, and it was because my mother talked to me about it. 

fineyouguyswin
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM
:/ I'm not ready for my daughter to ever get to this point
Sweet_Carol_126
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Tell her about her period before she ever gets it.  As soon as the boobs start to develop you should be telling her about her body and about having a menstrual period and telling her about blood and it is how the woman's body develops to have children after she is married.  Tell her her body is private and no one should be touching her.  Tell her that there are pads and give her one and show her where you keep them.  If you explain and let her know it doesn't usually hurt but sometimes we get crampy feeling.  Let her know we have to wash out our clothes if they get blood on them.  Give her a book by Kotex that explains (you can order them and I think they are free).  Kids are beginning periods earlier than they used to.  So you should be prepared and no child should suddenly have a period and the parent not have told her how to handle them and that it is normal and part of growing up.  My mom told me before I was in the 3rd grade or soon thereafter and I started in 5th grade at 11 or is that 4th grade?   I told my granddaughter when I found out my daughter hadn't told her.  The 2nd one probably got told by the first.  I have another one coming up so I hope she tells her.If I see that she develops I will ask my daughter.  I live on one coast and my daughter near the other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)