Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Advice on dealing with puberty and emotions?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM
  • 27 Replies

If your tween is going through puberty, he or she may be on an emotional rollercoaster! How do you deal??

How can I  help my tween deal with his or her changing emotions? Share your tips here!

We might feature some of your responses in our new Advice section!

Thank you for your help!

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hottmomma607
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM
3 moms liked this

If its a girl just stand back! Or run!! LOL My DD is emotionally cranky! I had one child go thru everything already! My 10yo Ds has not been through puberty yet! I don't want him to! He's my baby!

hollydaze1974
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 12:22 AM
7 moms liked this
I have found that long car drive really get them opening up to you. No vid games or radio. You ply them with ice cream and "trap" them in the car. My mom used to do this with me....take the very, very long way home or drive to the other side of the county and back. You don't take "fine, good,okay,or a grunt" as an answer. You follow up on every class,teacher, ask about specific friends, how they are doing while pointing to your heart...."How are you doing HERE." and then just listen...get quiet and drive. They will tell you bits and pieces from two weeks ago, they may even tell on themselves (which you keep your mouth shut when you hear it till later)
I get more information from my thirteen yr old son in a forty five minute drive than I do in in a month of grunts and "fine"s as he head to play a game.
It makes them let thier guard down because, well, frankly, they are trapped and the causes vulnerabilty .....something you can use to your advantage when learning more about them and how they "tick" as it is forever changing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ksbondgirl
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I started early in letting dd know that she can come to me for ANYTHING.  I also let her know that if she throws disrespect my way, to go cool off and then re-approach me because I'm not going to accept anything other than respect which is what I will give her.

brandi185
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 3:54 PM

my dh takes our 11 year old fishing.  dh said they're mostly quiet but when they're fishing is when our son asks questions.  our 8 year old isn't really into fishing so my dh takes him where ever.  sometimes put put or just out for a drive "adventuring".  when they're in a comfortable, one-on-one situation they seem to open up naturally.

fineyouguyswin
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Bumpy we are just entering this phase

ckepple
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a mother of three grown sons. I have a granddaughter who is now going through puberty. I'm not sure how to handle her outbursts of anger, crying jags and just plain drama. I don't remember my sons going through any of these emotional ups and downs. All I can say is what a difference beween boys and girls when they hit puberty!!!

Bethsunshine
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 9:32 PM
2 moms liked this

My plan is to run away to a deserted island for the next 10 years!! Anyone want to join me?

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

TempestRayne
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:17 PM
2 moms liked this

Patience and a bottle of vodka.

fullxbusymom
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I knew what it was and as my kids school calls it adolescent poisoning lol.  We just rode it out till it stabilized. 

nursesharon
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM
3 moms liked this

I try to be consistent!!  I understand that hormones are all over the place, but it's not an excuse to be disrespectful and if it gets that way, then phones get taken up, t.v. isn't allowed and FB goes silent!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)