Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

OT - hahahah!! Don't be one of these parents!

Posted by   + Show Post

I have mentioned several times that I'm a college advisor.  Well, right now we are doing a 4 week orientation (like a summer bridge) for almost 200 incoming freshmen.  My coworker and I were talking about our experiences so far and we were laughing at lunch.  These are some of the things we heard from parents when they arrived on Saturday:

- Who is going to be waking them up?

- Who is going to be doing their laundry?

- Who is going to be taking them to their classes?

- You mean parents don't stay after the students check-in?

- Who is going to be making his bed?

- We got his room, I made his bed, I put his clothes away....is there anything else I should do before I leave?

Please don't be one of these parents when your child goes off to college!!! hahaha

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Replies (271-278):
KattieAkomolede
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM
OMG !! My childeren better know how to do these things before they ate on there own or there SOL cuz mama can't be with you all the time
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rogue35
by on Aug. 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM
That is funny and sad. I just want to know how you break it to them that their kid has to do all that by theirself.
cassdw
by on Aug. 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM

...and to think I get upset with my mother for picking up my 5 year olds toys for him (because I believe in teaching him to be responsible and independent)...LOL!  I hate to see parents (or other caregivers) making their children helpless and dependent, not to mention irresponsible and unaccountable...These kids will be in for a rude awakening when they start failing classes, don't graduate and cannot get a job.  I guess mommy and daddy will realize the mistakes they made when little Johnny comes back home to live because he's untrainable and unemployable.

pumpkin77
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Pretty funny, but not to suprising!

LivinDeadGurl
by on Aug. 27, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Haha....wow. My oldest is only 12 and she already does most of this herself...lol.

MikeysMom22
by on Sep. 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM

That is pretty pathetic!!!

I work with students 18 to 22 that have special needs... goals that we work on involve teaching how to wash and fold laundry, how to make their own lunch...which is sometimes a hot meal. We teach them how to go grocery shopping. Yes, some of the students may still need someone to go with them but they are learning the skills involved to do it themselves!! So,______, (student's name) what did you make for lunch today? Then the ones that have speech tell us. The other ones sign or say it as best they can. I made such and such a thing.

If someone is smart enough to go away to college by themselves they should be prepared for all of those things mentioned in the orginal post!!!! Helllloooo people!!! The young adults in our class work on life skills which they will need later.

cocoroo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 1:00 AM
I do a lot for.my children, but not that much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marymad07
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 7:50 AM
That is funny but scary funny I am teaching my son to do stuff for himself. I need more patience though but he will learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)