Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was wondering..

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM
  • 11 Replies
My daughter is nine and half. She is starting to get hair in places. My daughter is very fair skin seeing that I am half Irish an she is taking after me. But her leg hair is black and you can very easy see it. My dd is very girly. She is always in a skirt or dress with her heels.
So I was wondering..what age is good to teach her how to shave?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 12:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by Stacy on Aug. 23, 2012 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this
When she begins feeling uncomfortable with it. There is no magic number. If she is uncomfortable now, then do it now, if not wait a little longer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
embrigmom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:03 AM

Talk with her about it, if the leg hair bothers her then teach her to shave. If she doesn't feel ready for it then let her know you will teach her when she is ready. There is no right age.

minimo77
by Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Whenever she asks to do it! No sense on waiting, kids dont need another reason to be picked on, save her the embarassment if at all possible.

If she hasnt noticed it, casualy ask her if she has thought about it, see how it goes fromthere.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:20 AM
I wouldn't mention it to her, but if she brings it up, let her shave. My mom wouldn't let me shave until I was 12. I wore pantyhose every day for two years even in the summer because I was so embarrassed about my hairy legs. My mom was a great mom, but this is the one and only thing that I think she did wrong. It is VERY embarrassing when a girl is aware of it and uncomfortable with it, even if no one teases her about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by Stacy on Aug. 23, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I agree with not mentioning it to her, because right now she may not even care about it, but as soon as you say something, she will become self-conscious. As parents we don't want them to think that we are finding things wrong with them, but pointing things out to them like this, can have unintended adverse effects.

Quoting Zamaria:

I wouldn't mention it to her, but if she brings it up, let her shave. My mom wouldn't let me shave until I was 12. I wore pantyhose every day for two years even in the summer because I was so embarrassed about my hairy legs. My mom was a great mom, but this is the one and only thing that I think she did wrong. It is VERY embarrassing when a girl is aware of it and uncomfortable with it, even if no one teases her about it.

Barabell
by Barbara on Aug. 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Quoting psych_mom:

When she begins feeling uncomfortable with it. There is no magic number. If she is uncomfortable now, then do it now, if not wait a little longer.

I agree with this.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Is she saying anything?  If not....don't say anything because you don't want her to feel self-conscious about it. 

wenchmommy381
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM

She'll probably come to you when school starts... someone will notice, and hopefully ask her about it kindly. I remember waiting until HS, but that's because I tan easily and my leg hair would go blonde in the summer. But I had friends I could talk to about it, and when some of them started shaving, I asked my mom about it. 

styler7
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 11:20 AM
My daughter started when she had under arm hair. It didn't bother her until then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Aug. 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Quoting psych_mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)