Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

How DARE her teacher do that!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM
  • 17 Replies

So, we went to Back to School Night last night.  After the teacher's presentation, individual parents went up and talked to her.  We went up and asked how our daughter is doing and she said "she is behaving really well but did she tell you that she got her name on the board?"  Ummm....no (but that's because we went from picking her up and taking her straight to practice so we didn't have a chance).  She said that she needs to slow down on her assignments because she is trying to speed through it.  She has told her a couple of times already and yesterday she sped through it again but this time she didn't complete her entire work because she didn't read the directions properly.  So, she put her name on the board as a warning to listen and read directions. 

Can you believe this teacher?  How DARE she???

**Okay....my tone is obviously a joke because I praised the teacher and thanked her for getting on her.  I see the same thing at home and she has been told this from other teachers.  Most of the time she will do the work correctly but the teachers all still want her to slow down, read directions carefully, and turn in good work. 

She is a good kid, does well in school but I have been trying to slow her down for awhile now.  Thoughts?  Strategies?

by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dizzy21712
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM

We had this problem with our dd and the only way we cured it was to make her redo the work. ALL OF IT. Everytime she raced through, didn't follow the directions, or if it was real sloppy writing, she had to redo all of her work. It didn't take very long for her to see the good side of taking her time.

SaraPerry
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:13 AM
bump

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Quoting dizzy21712:

We had this problem with our dd and the only way we cured it was to make her redo the work. ALL OF IT. Everytime she raced through, didn't follow the directions, or if it was real sloppy writing, she had to redo all of her work. It didn't take very long for her to see the good side of taking her time.

Yeah, that's what we had her do last year.  I'll have to do that again.  I'm even thinking of having her circle and/or underline important words in the direction.

dizzy21712
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM

It could be that with summer she has forgotten what it is like to have to redo the work. We sat down with dd before school started and reminded her how much she didn't like have to redo the work, just to put the thought into her head early in the school year.

Good luck.

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting dizzy21712:

Yeah, that's what we had her do last year.  I'll have to do that again.  I'm even thinking of having her circle and/or underline important words in the direction.

SahmTam
by Member on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Quoting dizzy21712:

This is what my youngest had to do. His teacher would send his stuff home as homework. He often thought he knew what he was supposed to do without reading the instructions carefully. Ie: He would finish a math paper with multiple digit addition. He's good at math and can do them in his head, but the instructions said to show your work (they were working on learning how to "carry" numbers in addition). He was forever doing things like that! He got better after a few months of having to so many papers over! lol

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM

You're right.  When I look over her work, I will have to look at it thoroughly.  I may also have her NOT do homework at her afterschool program next week so that I can see how she is doing her homework at home.

Quoting dizzy21712:

It could be that with summer she has forgotten what it is like to have to redo the work. We sat down with dd before school started and reminded her how much she didn't like have to redo the work, just to put the thought into her head early in the school year.

Good luck.

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting dizzy21712:

TempestRayne
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

My daughter used to do that, ad I would make her go back over her work again and again until shegot it all done properly. She eventually learned that it is quicker to get it done right the first time if she goes slow enough to read each question.

psych_mom
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 2:32 PM

No suggestions, but I think the other ladies have given some pretty good ones.

kelley72
by on Aug. 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Let her have the consequences of her actions, just like she did.  I praise mine for their "good" stuff,  and remind them of the consequences when they don't follow the instructions, read carefully, check for mistakes, etc.  Ultimately it is their grade- Not mine.  I let them own their achievements as well as negative consequences to their actions. 

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 24, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Quoting kelley72:

Let her have the consequences of her actions, just like she did.  I praise mine for their "good" stuff,  and remind them of the consequences when they don't follow the instructions, read carefully, check for mistakes, etc.  Ultimately it is their grade- Not mine.  I let them own their achievements as well as negative consequences to their actions. 

Very true and thank you for the reminder.  I do feel like I should at least teach her some strategies and then leave achievements/consequences up to her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN