Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Why Must Backpacks Weigh a Ton?!

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM
  • 17 Replies

My DD just started middle school.  The good news is that most of her books and resources are all online - yay!    But wait!   Every one of her teachers, 6 total, require students to have a 1" 3-ring binder, a wire bound notebook, plus assorted pens, markers, glue stick, tape, etc.....  My girl is 54" and 68 lbs and her backpack almost tips her over.  WHY WHY WHY must teachers demand that the kids carry so much freaking stuff??  

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJFBGMommy
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

If you figure it out, please let me know. My sons backpack weighs 43lbs. we weighed it last school year after him ending up at the chiropractor 3 times in a month. Granted he's much bigger than your daughter, 5'11" 175lbs. But still to wear that much weight on his back every day, between each class is awful. 

psych_mom
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:43 PM

That is excessive. My son only needs one 3" binder for all 7 of his classes.

MicheleJM
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:46 PM
I want to know what happened to lockers? I had them but ds12doesnt. He has to carry textbooks on occasion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GMom2011
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM

When I was in school, we weren't allowed to use our backpacks during the day, we had to go back and forth to our lockers between classes to change out books. Scoliosis was a worry so they banned the backpacks during the school day. You could only use them coming and going.

I remember my backpack being so ridiculously heavy that I left it hidden (or so I thought) at the bus stop in a drainage ditch so I could run to meet my friend in the morning who caught the bus with me. When we came back it was gone. Everything stolen. My parents had to pay a ridiculous amount of money for beat up, outdated books because of it. I was grounded forever... I told them it was because the darn thing was so heavy, it was killing my back...

TempestRayne
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I agree with  a pp...whatever happened to lockers?

hriabywx4
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM
My son has a locker and he keeps extra "supplies" in it but he does not have time to go to his locker between every class. The school is too large. We mapped it and he could hit his locker at the start of the day, after 3rd period and after 5th. That would be really booking it though. Thank goodness most of their textbooks are accessed online!!! He does carry quite a few notebooks and folders, his backpack is heavy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rogue35
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Backpacks can be heavy. I know my older kid's would weight a ton. I wonder if you ask her teachers if they would have a solution to your problem Op. If she weighs that little I would be worried about her back.
Barabell
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM

My son starts junior high next week, and I'm concerned about the backpack weight too.

I didn't grow up with lockers. Instead we had a set of books for home and a set for the classroom. I preferred that. I know his school is going to have lockers, which means he'll have to carry his books around.

wakymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Our middle school has a lot of the books online, and one set in the classrm. Some of the teachers will send a copy to keep at home as well.

This yr, ds1 (8th gr) needs one binder for math, and one for Spanish. He has one big binder w/ folders for his other classes. He still has a pretty heavy backpack!

SahmTam
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM

We have this problem, too. They start carrying all of that in 3rd grade here. My 6th grader and my 3rd grader actually weigh the same- 67 lbs. My oldest is 55" and my daughter is about 52". My oldest also plays french horn. I used to go meet him at the bus when he'd get home on french horn lesson and band days because otherwise when he was walking home he looked like a backpack with legs carrying a large instrument!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)