Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Advice Needed: My dd turned 9 in July and is showing signs...

Posted by   + Show Post

My dd turned 9 in July and is showing signs that her menstrual cycle might be coming soon, I had the talk with her and she became sad and scared to know that she will have a period every month. I am heart broken and very sad for her what can I do???

by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 6:12 AM
Replies (31-35):
bellasdesserts
by on Sep. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

You can't be heartbroken and sad, you should celebrate the fact that she is normal!  My daughter started puberty at 8 1/2 with breast buds, and just got her first period last month (she just turned 11).  My daughter started getting nauseous and headaches about a year before her first.  Then about 4 months before she would get crampy and ocassionally have clear discharge around the time when I did.   2 weeks before she got PMS (that was fun), then the day of she had cramps and discharge.  Does any of that sound familiar to her symptoms?

GotSomeKids
by Member on Sep. 4, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I love this series.  My daughter has this book and on occasion remind her it will happen (she is 9 right now).  I also found it for boys too.  My son loves his book more than my daughter loves hers.

Quoting dizzy21712:

I have posted this before but I will do it again. Get her The Care and Keeping of You by American Girl. You can get it on Amazon.com used for like five dollars. It covers everything about puberty and really opens up the conversation between the two of you, and does it in a way to show that not every girl develops the same way, but all girls will develop and that it is normal, her feelings are normal and every girl goes through them.

MumaSue
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Awesome :) .... great news that she loved the books. The journals are priceless.

Quoting MOMMYJM:

Thanks and yes I went out the very next day to get them for her and she absolutely loved them!!!

Quoting MumaSue:

There was a thread a few weeks back that mentioned the care and keeping of you book. My DD has just turned 8 but I started my period having just turned 9 so I bought the set that included the book on feelings and two journals. She was a little worried as she flicked through the book and but once we started talking about different things she chilled out about it.

Great set of books.

MOMMYJM
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Hi, I agree love the books and journals. What OS the name of the book for boys? My nephew is 9 1/2 and my sister mentioned he's going through some changes. I would love to tell her about the book.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I love this series.  My daughter has this book and on occasion remind her it will happen (she is 9 right now).  I also found it for boys too.  My son loves his book more than my daughter loves hers.

Quoting dizzy21712:

I have posted this before but I will do it again. Get her The Care and Keeping of You by American Girl. You can get it on Amazon.com used for like five dollars. It covers everything about puberty and really opens up the conversation between the two of you, and does it in a way to show that not every girl develops the same way, but all girls will develop and that it is normal, her feelings are normal and every girl goes through them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MOMMYJM
by on Sep. 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM
I have been noticing some discharge which I thought she might just be holding her bladder a bit too long but I'm steering to think its discharge. She has been complaining of lower abdominal pain but I'm not sure if they are cramps because she's always had tummy aches. I asked her how does it feel and it sounds like it might be cramps but I'm not too sure. I guess I was sad because I feel that she's too young since I didn't start till I was 12. But yes I got over it for her sake.

Quoting bellasdesserts:

You can't be heartbroken and sad, you should celebrate the fact that she is normal!  My daughter started puberty at 8 1/2 with breast buds, and just got her first period last month (she just turned 11).  My daughter started getting nauseous and headaches about a year before her first.  Then about 4 months before she would get crampy and ocassionally have clear discharge around the time when I did.   2 weeks before she got PMS (that was fun), then the day of she had cramps and discharge.  Does any of that sound familiar to her symptoms?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)