Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

I think kids need their sleep. That being said, my DD in first grade is in bed at 8pm. and DD in fourth is in bed at 8:30. It is straight to bed and lights out. However, I think SD in 6th needs to be in bed at 9pm. She is difficult to get up and has failed math for the last 3 years. They keep passing her because you have to fail more then one core subject to be held back. Anyhow, her mother lets her go to bed at 10pm. and has to be sleeping at 10:30. However she is up texting her dad at 10:30 telling him goodnight. She has also text after that time.

What are your opinions on bedtime for that age?

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Replies (31-40):
catngabsmom
by Erica on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Bedroom time at 9, lights out at 9:30, all electronics (except for kindle) in the charger basket in the kitchen by 8. My kids currently get up at 7:30, so this is good, next week we will start getting up at 5:45 because they will have orchestra practice before school. Then everything will be adjusted down by 30 minutes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I really, really like this idea.  It also helps keep the chargers from getting misplaced.

Quoting catngabsmom:

Bedroom time at 9, lights out at 9:30, all electronics (except for kindle) in the charger basket in the kitchen by 8. My kids currently get up at 7:30, so this is good, next week we will start getting up at 5:45 because they will have orchestra practice before school. Then everything will be adjusted down by 30 minutes.

catngabsmom
by Erica on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I will post a pic in the morning

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I really, really like this idea.  It also helps keep the chargers from getting misplaced.

Quoting catngabsmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Homealonex2
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Depends on her mood to be honest.  If she in a good mood she can stay up till 9:30.  If were having a bad night you can tell she tired it's 8:30.  Normally by Thursday she in bed earlier. 

Beautiful31mom
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:51 PM

both my 5th and 6th graders are in bed at 9 electronics off at 8:30. And this goes also for my 9th grader who is in bed at 9:30 with electronics off at 8:30.

melissam78
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 6:58 AM
My kids have a 7:00 bedtime,why so early? Because it takes them at least half an hour to get settled down,so when they are settled down they read in bed for another half hour,so come 8:00 their falling asleep.my dd who's in the 5th grade doesn't like to get up so the earlier the better
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
housemommyto2
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I agree her phone should be in the living room. My 10 year old has hers in the living room at all times. We have a restriction on her phone to quit working after 10pm on all days. She has repeatedly asked her dad to lift that. She can only text dad or mom after 10pm for emergencies. What emergencies can a child have after 10 you wonder???? Her mom goes out at night and leaves her alone often. This way she can contact her or dad if need be. I would like for her to have more sleep but she had daddy wrapped when she is here. I put mine to bed by 9pm on the weekends when she is not here and they all stay up till 10 - 11pm when she is. And sometimes even later. It makes for a cranky day the next day.

christinad
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 2:23 PM

For the most part my 6th grader is in bed at 9pm. He gets up better he is more functional and he isnt as mean, cause let me tell you he isnt a morning person at all. But like on Tuesdays he has church functions he will be attending and they dont end till 8:30pm and after dropping off his cousins its already 9pm. So wed are rough on us. But like I said 9pm works best for us and that is the norm.

Christina

lovetobemomof5
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Right now all of the younger kids have their baths and showers after dinner, they get ready for the next day the night before so I don't have that challenge in the morning. We spend quiet time together and then younger kids in bed at 7:30 for reading or quietly listen to music. Lights out at 8 no questions and radios go off. The older kids spend time with me for a while and then they shower and they are in bed by 8:30. They too get to read or quietly  listen to music and then lights out at 9. I have 5 kids, ages, 15 ( special needs), 12, 7, 6 ( special needs), 4. I collect cell phones and ipods before lights out and no one gets them back until the next day. No exceptions.

STARRYVONN
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 7:12 PM

In bed no later than 9pm for mine ( ages 9,11 & 12) .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)