Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

WARNING! BRAG POST AND YES I'M YELLING:)

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:16 AM
  • 14 Replies
we had a death in the family two weeks ago. It was very much like an evacuation as my car wouldn't make the trip and DH couldn't take off due to "busy season" which requires long,long, days. He drove me and the two boys ages two and thirteen to our destination (seven hrs) and turned around and drove home. I had to be there for my mother. tween gets three days bereavement and additional days have to be approved by the principal. I guess my three calls between midnite and three am were enough to get him the other two days...
ANYHOW, school had only been in session three weeks when my grandmother passed.
He was selected for Algebra instead of 8th grade math, so we (DH and I) were already concerned about that as Algebra is extremely structured on building blocks, even more so than reg math.
When he return to school, I really was concerned on how long it would take for him to do make up work at home and what subjects would be beyond my expertise ( I hated algebra)
His team teachers would pull him from "exploratories" (gym, media, strength and training) and allow him to use that time to get make up work along with that day's work done in sequence. But math, omg, Math! Poor Kid was physically doing make up work while auditorily processing new information being presented in class at the same time.
He had a test last Fri. and knew he missed teaching time for the last portion of the test yet pulled on a ten minute lesson from LAST YEAR to get a hundred on the test! :) And if I were to stop there, you wouldn't know that mid terms came today and he got all A's except for Algebra....which was a very impressive 92 B!

Dang! the kid deserves a stiff drink IMO, but I bet he'll settle for gallon of MooseTracks Ice Cream! :) I can't help it, I'm beaming at his perserverance!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaEngineer
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Congratulations to your son on his academic accomplishments! It also shows you taught him some good study skills even if you do not understand Algebra. While the loss of a loved one is difficult, he allowed the situation to blossom into something beautiful.

fineyouguyswin
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 6:27 AM

92 is still an A hear :O) Congrats to him.

psych_mom
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Wow! Congrats to him. I just had to do college algebra for 2 semesters so I know that is daunting and not easy. No way I could have done what he did- I had to do it in the order it was presented. Great kid.

Barabell
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Very impressive!! That is really a huge accomplishment. Way to go!!

BTW - I'm sorry about your loss.

TempestRayne
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Heck yeah.

hollydaze1974
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Thank you, it was a rough week for all. My son had only known his great grandmother during the later stages of Alziemer's, but she passed from a heart anurysm in her sleep. He was actually my mom's " rock during visitation and the funeral as my two yr old behaved like a maniac both instances and I missed being there for either. I had to stay in the refreshment area with the door closed and rocking him. :/
So my tween was great in a crisis, understanding the hurting of my mother, then coming home and refocusing to another crisis and acing it,too. He so wonderful.

Quoting Barabell:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

He really is a great kid. You are truly blessed.

Quoting hollydaze1974:

Thank you, it was a rough week for all. My son had only known his great grandmother during the later stages of Alziemer's, but she passed from a heart anurysm in her sleep. He was actually my mom's " rock during visitation and the funeral as my two yr old behaved like a maniac both instances and I missed being there for either. I had to stay in the refreshment area with the door closed and rocking him. :/
So my tween was great in a crisis, understanding the hurting of my mother, then coming home and refocusing to another crisis and acing it,too. He so wonderful.

Quoting Barabell:

hollydaze1974
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Yes, he has ADHD, Primary school was absolute hell....didn't help that four out of six grades had teachers on maternity leave at some point, meaning he had to learn so many different teaching styles. Adaptation was a survival skill. As bad as primary was....as much advocating as I did, at least his spirit was not broken and apparently has made him a dream for middle school teachers.

Quoting MamaEngineer:

Congratulations to your son on his academic accomplishments! It also shows you taught him some good study skills even if you do not understand Algebra. While the loss of a loved one is difficult, he allowed the situation to blossom into something beautiful.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wenchmommy381
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

That is great. I hope he realizes how proud you are of him and treasures it as much as you treasure his effort.

Rogue35
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 9:24 AM
That is awesome I would be proud too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN