Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Why are teachers allowing students to call parents for non-emergencies?!

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM
  • 22 Replies

DD is in 7th grade & in orchestra. Her orchestra class is 1st period. I take her to school on my way to work. She has to be there by 7:25am & I get to work within 10 mins of dropping her off. She has called me 2 times from the orchestra room over nonsense things. The latest was yesterday. She calls to tell me she has paperwork that needs to be filled out. I asked why she was calling & she says the teacher let her. I asked if the forms could wait until we get home & she had to put the phone down to ask the teacher who said yes. I was upset because it wasn't an emergency! She should have been teaching the class not allow students to make phone calls! I told my DD last night the next time she calls for something that is not an emergency I am going to have to give an earful to the teacher!

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:21 PM

It is annoying! When my son forgets his glasses or deodarant (for PE) he is allowed to call me! Non emergency situations like that make me not want to answer the next time I see the school's number on the Caller ID or my cell phone.

LucyHarper
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:23 PM

At our kids school, they only make calls during school hours if its a really big emergency, then only from the office phone and its the secretary who makes the actual call. The phones in the classrooms dont call outside the building and cell phones are not allowed for students and teachers during school hours.

CampClan
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Quoting diaperstodating:

It is annoying! When my son forgets his glasses or deodarant (for PE) he is allowed to call me!

Glasses I can understand because he might need them to see the board in the front of the class. Deodarent though.... guess he should carry a small bottle of Axe with him. lol

psych_mom
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM
My kids' schools wouldn't allow that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CampClan
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Quoting psych_mom:

My kids' schools wouldn't allow that.

That's the thing- when I asked who said she could call me she told me the teacher. And it was clear she was in the orchestra room because I could hear the instruments in the back! And I know she called from the school phone because she doesn't have her own cell phone yet.

I did tell her next time she called me from orchestra for something unimportant I was calling the school & pulling her out of orchestra & asking for my pay to play fee to be returned. I think it's stupid for them to allow that!

nebcutie
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 10:56 PM
My dd calls me when she forgets something she needs that day. They have phones around in the hall for them to use. I dont really mind cause we live a block from school so i will run it up there. I have also ran stuff for her friends if they needed. It doesnt happen but a few times a year so no big deal here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:10 PM

My kids school wouldn't allow that.  Even if they did, they have to call from the front office.  Thankfully we have been with this school long enough that I would just tell the front desk person to not allow my kids to do that nonsense.

Hottmomma607
by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM
My kids call if they forget something! My DD has a phone, my tween doesn't I agree it can get to be a bit much! But I'm available to run to the school. But I want them to learn to be responsible for their own homework.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 11:49 PM

I won't take my kids homework or their glasses.  I tell them lesson learned.

wenchmommy381
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM

My impression is that the orchestra teacher is a lot more laidback than a History teacher would be 1st period. And she's pretty much allowed to be. 

It's also possible that she didn't allow another student to call home another time and caught a whole bunch of hell for it. When you see the varied ways in which a teacher can get "in trouble" it boggles the mind.

The last time I got a phone call it was to tell me that my son had forgotten his library book. It really is upsetting for a child to not be able to pick out a new book. Because I could drop off the book, I did, but if we weren't home he'd be SOL. We're also clear about who forgot the book. The principal seems to really appreciate that I don't take responsibility for the forgotten item, even though I am taking the time to bring it in. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)