Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Why are teachers allowing students to call parents for non-emergencies?!

Posted by   + Show Post

DD is in 7th grade & in orchestra. Her orchestra class is 1st period. I take her to school on my way to work. She has to be there by 7:25am & I get to work within 10 mins of dropping her off. She has called me 2 times from the orchestra room over nonsense things. The latest was yesterday. She calls to tell me she has paperwork that needs to be filled out. I asked why she was calling & she says the teacher let her. I asked if the forms could wait until we get home & she had to put the phone down to ask the teacher who said yes. I was upset because it wasn't an emergency! She should have been teaching the class not allow students to make phone calls! I told my DD last night the next time she calls for something that is not an emergency I am going to have to give an earful to the teacher!

by on Sep. 12, 2012 at 8:16 PM
Replies (21-22):
luvmytwins2
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM

This post made me sad for your child.  Why wouldn't you want a call from them?  Your apart all day, I would love it if they just called for a quick "hi". How would you feel if you knew someone didn't want you to call them?  Or only call for an emergency?  I highly doubt a two minute phone call will effect her learning.  I'm never too busy to take a phone call from my babies.  

CampClan
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM
My job is to take care of children all day. I am not allowed to take personal calls unless it is a true emergency (i.e. injured or sick child). Calling me to tell me she needs something signed or money for broken strings on her violin is not an emergency. An email from her teacher or a voicemail on my cell that I can receive on my lunch break would have done in this case.

Quoting luvmytwins2:

This post made me sad for your child.  Why wouldn't you want a call from them?  Your apart all day, I would love it if they just called for a quick "hi". How would you feel if you knew someone didn't want you to call them?  Or only call for an emergency?  I highly doubt a two minute phone call will effect her learning.  I'm never too busy to take a phone call from my babies.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)