Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Abstinence or Birth Control

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM
  • 13 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you teach abstinence, birth control, or both?

Options:

Abstinence

Birth Control

Both

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 28

View Results

Do you teach your teen abstinence or birth control?

I teach my 13 year old DD both.  I tell her that I PREFER her to practice abstinence and try to provide her with many examples of famous people who are currently practicing abstinence and other reasons (morals, life, STDs, marriage).  However, I am very aware of the pressure many teens face so I also stress the use of condoms if she chooses not to wait.

by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TempestRayne
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 4:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I will be teaching both, and then making sure tht while in my care, they aren't given the opportunity to make the choice. they will be abstinent.

Wyldbutterfly
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd love to say abstinence but I would be fooling myself if I taught otherwise.

Mz.Lafie665
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I think most of us feel the same way.  Knowing the alarming rate of teen pregnancies made me decide to teach both.  You can try your hardest to set examples, educate, and mentor your children to make the "right" decisions, but you cannot watch them every moment of their life.

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

psych_mom
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 6:41 PM

I have to agree with you two ladies.

Quoting Mz.Lafie665:

I think most of us feel the same way.  Knowing the alarming rate of teen pregnancies made me decide to teach both.  You can try your hardest to set examples, educate, and mentor your children to make the "right" decisions, but you cannot watch them every moment of their life.

Quoting Wyldbutterfly:

fineyouguyswin
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Both we will teach respecting yourself and safety. I was very much in love at 13 and having sex. Same guy for 4 years in fact. Now don't get me wrong I would be pissed.lol but as long as they were safe I guess I would try to get over it.lol

cocoroo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM
I talk to my children about both. In an ideal world, they would choose abstinence, but I'm not completely delusional or naive. I have taught them what I feel is right and now I have to trust them (my 18 and 14 yo). I haven't gone into it much with my 10 and 11 yo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChrissyL90
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

With my 15 year old I have talked about love, committment and being responsible.  She's been with her bf for about 2 years now and although I don't want her having sex, I won't put my head in the sand either.  She is on bc now and I do keep her drawer stocked with condoms.  We have had ongoing talks since she was 11 and we still talk.

LucyHarper
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I stress abstinence, but let them know how to use birth control should they make that choice.

wenchmommy381
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I learned about birth control, but also about self-respect, teen pregnancy, STDs, and setting valuable goals and what it takes to acheive them. I figured out very quickly that sex was only going to get in the way. The religious value of chastity actually came later. 

Lorena
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this
I am teaching and going to teach my kids both. We have talked to the four oldest kids about abstinence and the use of condums/ birth Control. We use our own personal experiences. We were teen parents. We keep the lines of communication open and if they should want to have sex they should come to talk to us first so that we can help them be safe. As of right no one has a bf//gf. They all think that school is more important right now. Im hoping it stays that way. As for the other three it is not my place to discuss with them. But I always tell them I am here for them no matter what!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)