Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Criticized over baby bikini???

Posted by   + Show Post

This is just crazy! 

http://theclicker.today.com/_news/2012/09/12/13834945-jessica-simpson-criticized-over-baby-maxwells-bikini-photo

I'm not posting the entire article but Jessica Simpson is being criticized because she posted a picture of her daughter in a bikini?  Really? They don't have better things to do?

“It is very disturbing to see a young baby presented to the world wearing a bikini,” Claude Knights, the director of Kidscape, a British child welfare agency, told the UK’s Daily Mail, which ran a photo of the infant in the outfit. “Celebrity choices carry great influence, as can be seen by the manner in which their accessories and behaviors are copied widely. It is to be hoped that parents will understand that 'baby bikinis' are totally inappropriate, and that they contribute to the sexualization and commercialization of childhood. We should not be compromising the sanctity of our children’s early years.”

by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Replies (21-24):
AlmostStepmom3
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM
I wouldn't dress my child in a bikini.... Not because it sexualizes the infant, but because I think of down the road.... It may be cute now, but I don't think it's necessary and I wouldn't want my 12/13 year old prancing around in a bikini, so why make it ok now??. Girls these days rely to much about what guys think about their physical appearance and what they want physically. A lot of girls these days just lack respect and self confidence for themselves. Or, if they have those things, they use it in the wrong way.

I'm not saying all girls who wear bikinis are heading down the wrong path.... I just think its important to teach young girls to respect themselves that doesn't involve flaunting what they've got.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Azucar08
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 7:13 AM
While I think the babies are adorable, we need to think outside of being mothers. Unfortunately there are unstable people out there who would think that bikinis sexualize babies. We didn't think pageants would attract abusers, and look at what happens. It's sad, but shouldn't be completely ignored.

And as for Jodie Foster...well, she Was sexualized as a minor. The Coppertone add apparently opened the door for abuse later on.
fineyouguyswin
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM
I'm not a fan but it isn't an issues I'd mess with someone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiannasmom
by Member on Sep. 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

Well, i guess these people would be UP IN ARMS if I sent them a picture of my twins when they were 1.

they are so cute.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)