Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Clothes for your children

Posted by   + Show Post
What kind of clothing do your children like? Do they have a style or do they not care? How much freedom do you give them to pick out there own clothes?

I allow my children to pick out their own clothes within reason. I never let them go out looking trashy or dirty. It drives me crazy when I see kids walking around looking homeless when I know good and well they have the ability to dress better, especially when their parents always look really nice and well put together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
cocoroo
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM

My son doesn't like the skin tight pants like some of the boys wear, he just wants them a little more fitted.  It is just very hard to find pants for him that don't swallow him up.

Quoting Zamaria:

Lol! They would probably be baggy on mine too. He's a string bean. I don't mind them on girls if they're wearing a shirt that covers their rear, just not my taste for boys. Skinny jeans and sagging are about the only styles I won't let them wear though, so they don't complain. I've actually never had them ask for skinny jeans or try to sag their pants though.

Quoting cocoroo:

No skinny jeans? LOL. My 11 yo son tries to get some skinny jeans, but he is so skinny they are still a little baggy.
wakymom
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Both boys like jeans (preferrably cargo) and tshirts. In the summer, ds1 prefers camo shorts, and ds2 likes any kind of shorts. In cool/cold weather, they wear long sleeve tshirts or tshirts w/ a flannel over. For shoes, ds1 likes sneakers, and ds2 prefers his cowboy boots, but will wear sneakers when needed w/o argument.

Dd is more my fashion diva- and she's only 6! She likes leggings and sweat pants, long sleeve tshirt-style shirts and hoodies, and dresses w/ tights or leggings forcoll/cold weather. In the summer, she likes dresses and skirts mostly, but will wear shorts, and tshirts and tanks. She doesn't like wearing socks, so that's always a fun argument in the winter. Shoewise, she prefers flipflops and Crocs; we have a few arguments in the winter when I insist she wear sneakers, but she usually likes her snowboots. I think I'm in trouble when she hits the tween/teen yrs!

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM
I have had good luck with Levi's and Abercrombie jeans for my son. The skin tight ones are the ones I don't like. Especially when they try to sag with the skin tight jeans. It just looks like they pooped in their pants! Lol! My son prefers the straight leg jeans too. he will wear boot cut, but they aren't his favorite.

Quoting cocoroo:

My son doesn't like the skin tight pants like some of the boys wear, he just wants them a little more fitted.  It is just very hard to find pants for him that don't swallow him up.

Quoting Zamaria:

Lol! They would probably be baggy on mine too. He's a string bean. I don't mind them on girls if they're wearing a shirt that covers their rear, just not my taste for boys. Skinny jeans and sagging are about the only styles I won't let them wear though, so they don't complain. I've actually never had them ask for skinny jeans or try to sag their pants though.

Quoting cocoroo:

No skinny jeans? LOL. My 11 yo son tries to get some skinny jeans, but he is so skinny they are still a little baggy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:13 PM

That's what I have to get my son and my 10 yo dd, Levis or Abercrombie.  I have been pretty lucky and found Abercrombie on clearance for my daughter.  I'm not about to pay $50-60 for jeans for a kid that will outgrow them in a matter of months. 

What drives me nuts are the kids who wear their pants down past their butt, literally their waistband is under the buttcheeks.  How is that even comfortable?

Quoting Zamaria:

I have had good luck with Levi's and Abercrombie jeans for my son. The skin tight ones are the ones I don't like. Especially when they try to sag with the skin tight jeans. It just looks like they pooped in their pants! Lol! My son prefers the straight leg jeans too. he will wear boot cut, but they aren't his favorite.

Quoting cocoroo:

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Lol! No clue how they do it. I laugh every time I see the duck walk they do to keep them up!
I have found a lot of my son's jeans at thrift stores, goodwill and salvation army stores, and eBay. I very rarely buy them new. They grow soooo fast that they only fit for a few months! Drives me crazy. I refuse to pay Abercrombie prices too! They're nuts!

Quoting cocoroo:

That's what I have to get my son and my 10 yo dd, Levis or Abercrombie.  I have been pretty lucky and found Abercrombie on clearance for my daughter.  I'm not about to pay $50-60 for jeans for a kid that will outgrow them in a matter of months. 

What drives me nuts are the kids who wear their pants down past their butt, literally their waistband is under the buttcheeks.  How is that even comfortable?

Quoting Zamaria:

Quoting cocoroo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is very small and grows very slowly, so that helps with getting his clothes.  He is 11 1/2 and is just now wearing size 10 pants and they are too big for him.  I got him several pairs of Levis at Kohls at the end of spring for $10-15 each.  I got him one pair of Abercrombie jeans on clearance, but the boys aren't as easy to find as the girls.

Quoting Zamaria:

Lol! No clue how they do it. I laugh every time I see the duck walk they do to keep them up!
I have found a lot of my son's jeans at thrift stores, goodwill and salvation army stores, and eBay. I very rarely buy them new. They grow soooo fast that they only fit for a few months! Drives me crazy. I refuse to pay Abercrombie prices too! They're nuts!

kelzboyz2
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:00 AM
My DS is 11, he is just starting to get into clothing and likes American eagle ans aero stuff (or that look like that style). He knows I don't allow skulls or sassy comments on the shirts. As for price they can be expensive, when all counted he had enough tshirts to last 3 wks without wearing the same one, about 8 prs of jeans ( less now b/c he is growing) and 4 prs of shoes. I got most of it at different Salvation Armies and platos clothet and clearence racks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiebreaker2012
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:32 AM

My daughter picks out her own within reason. Unfortunately with us being divorced, we disagree on what we feel is appropriate. XDH also has his parents living in his house to help, and xmil can't match worth anything, so that became a BIG issue last year when Sydney (now 10 1/2) decided she was good with mismatching as well, which drove me UP A WALL! She mostly shops at Justice, Aeropostle and PS Aeropostle. This year she has finally decided her clothes should coordinate again! She loves her Converse sneakers and has two pairs, one low and one high top. She is now discovering designer brands, and has been begging for UGGs, but I told her (and all her friends moms agree with me) she can't have a pair (she gets knock offs every year) until her foot stops growing. Just too expensive. No real clothing battles with her, love shopping with her, pretty easy (so far!!) 

Rebecca

wenchmommy381
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM

My boys (even my oldest) are still "kids" in the clothing department. So long as they are comfortable, they're not really looking for style. I actually have to watch out for clothes that don't fit anymore and filter them out of the wardrobe.

My oldest does gravitate towards Tony Hawk clothes, even though he'd probably hurt himself badly if he ever got on a skateboard. I'm just glad that stuff is not terribly expensive. 

Babujai
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:53 AM

My almost 11 y/o is starting to get picky about his clothes.  The shorts have to be so long (passed his knees) and his shirts can't be too tight and his jeans have to be loose.  Almost all his clothes are hand-me-downs from a very fashion-forward cousin so he's been in luck.  He still needs help coordinating colors, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN