Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Homework help PLEAZZZZ

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM
  • 7 Replies
6th grade pre-AP everything is going to be the death of me and possibly the rest of our family. We all want to believe that our kids are smart yada yada. My dd is 'smart', she listens, pays attention, puts her best foot forward. Not sure how she qualifies so high on the charts because she is so slow!! The amount of homework this girl brings home is outrageous. For the last three weeks she is working working working until from the time she gets to school until she goes to bed. She has been doing 'tutoring' for an hour before school and an hour after, all week in math. It's not because she doesn't understand but because she isn't completing the work in class (specifically tests). She's been working all week on one math test.

Anyway -my point of the post is, how do you handle homework? It's really putting a stop to the rest of the family being able to function as a family. Everyone kind of has to tip toe around for three hours because she's 'trying to concentrate'. Do you have your kids sit at the kitchen table or do they do their homework in their room? I always did my hw at the table with my family doing whatever around me but this seems to be a problem for my daughter. She gets distracted and then she gets mad. It's like we can't do anything all night (in her opinion). She doesn't even want us to turn on the tv bc it's too loud. My husband and I feel like we've been grounded for the last three weeks and I'd like some ideas on how to take our evenings back. Thanks!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
darci16
by Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

So funny that I picked this post to read, my son is at the kitchen table doing his math as I type this. He is in 6th grade accelerated math also and tonight he is having a problem not understanding  it. I myself am not good at math so I'm not much help to him. His teacher goes in early 1 day a week and stays late 1 day a week to help when one  or more of her students need help. I suggested that next week he may want to go in before or after for help. Math is really the only class he has homework in so at least it's not an all night thing.  I am going to suggest to him he may want to start earlier on his work, instead of waiting until after dinner, because I think he may be to tired to think about all of those problems, lol.  I do kind of keep it quiet, only because I like it that way. He gets mad also, he threw his pencil across the table.

I'm sorry I not much help, but I wanted you to know you're not alone :)  Well he's finally done, yay.

psych_mom
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:33 AM
My 6th grader has accelerated math and he gets his assignment on Mondays and has until Thu to complete it. The teacher spends the week in class going over everything that is on the homework for that week. She also comes in early to help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Mine do homework at the kitchen table.  HOWEVER.  one has problems with adhd. Having her complete it at other parts of the house would be a disaster.  I have to keep and eye on her.

Can you find another room in the house for her to work? Maybe buy her a noise machine to block out any other sounds? Do you think it should be taking this long to do homework?  If not,  I'd talk to the teacher. 

wenchmommy381
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

If she can't finish in a timely fashion, that is about as problematic as not understanding it. While I'm sure she can handle it, it's only going to get worse. Only if she already knows that she wants to go into a field where understanding math and logic is absolutely necessary (computer science or economics, for example) would I suggest she press on. 

As a teacher who has worked with college admissions reps before, we have agreed that it would be better to see students who are successful at their mid-level classes than struggling with all accelerated classes. 

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:00 AM

My kids do their homework at daycare (where I work) so that doesn't help. However, during the time that I was on maternity leave this past April/May, homework was being done at home. Usually the girls would spread out on the living room floor, kind of like the spokes of a wagon wheel, so they could help each other out. ("The girls" would be my 3, plus my bff's 3.) There was always music on in the background and giggling here and there, but that's how they function the best.

However, if they were like your DD, something would have to change. I would likely have them do their homework in their bedrooms, and check on them periodically to see if they need help. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to even watch TV in your own home because of homework. Also, have you considered some earplugs for her to block out the noise that's distracting her?

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 12 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 23 weeks old

momof2ex1
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I did talk to the math teacher yesterday and he said that what he notices about dd is she is very careful which is why she is slow. So she isn't making the errors that the other kids are making from rushing through she is just not as fast as the others. He sees no concern with her pace and is pleased that she cares enough to do it right the first time rather than to have to go back and correct or just accept a low grade. He did tell me that the test she has been working on is a 5th grade review. It's not that she didn't finish it all weeks, it is that she has gotten a lot wrong and so he is actually having to teach her on each problem. He held a tutoring session yesterday for a handful of students that were having the same problem. Dd was one of them. He said that he is noticing that most of his a/p students from dd's elementary did not learn some skills that they should have. He has seen a pattern so he decided to hold a 'review' session to get them all up to speed. This is rather disappointing but I'm very pleased that he realizes that they did not learn this last year and he is taking the time to correct that.

Dd's homework consists of math, English, social studies and pre-engineering. She also has to read a couple chapters a night. Pre-engineering is a lot of research but she is making 100 right now!! Social studies is more like geography at the moment and a lot of what they are learning she learned last year so she is doing well there. The amount of homework is just a lot. They did warn us about this and I tried putting her in normal classes instead of pre-a/p classes. But the counselor called me and asked me to reconsider because she scores so high in her testing. She received the presidential excellence award this past year and also the Duke University award. She's just SLOW!! She is going to have to pick up the pace. Her teachers are not concerned at all but I am. They aren't the ones having three hours of homework a night. The good thing is the Math teacher said she will never have math homework on the weekends. He pushes them very hard all week and then allows the weekend for a break. This is good news!!

We have an office so I think I'll move homework time into the office. She can close the door and there is a noise machine in there for my husband. He has the same problem. When he is working he doesn't want to hear the kids so he has a noise machine. I might have to put up drapes on the glass window of the door though so she can't see out lol she gets distracted so easily by what little brother is doing. She is a nosey rosey when it comes to him and it causes her lots of problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 1:00 AM
Yeah she's in pre-engineering which is what she is wanting to do. Math and logic will be very important. Her teachers are not concerned but I worry about the future.... It will only get worse as you say.

Her science teacher told me that up until now, these kids have been used to making high grades with very little effort and that we are now going to see them struggling to make those higher grades with a lot more effort. Especially in the per a/ p classes. They said it was typical to see a drop in grades in the first six weeks until they find a happy medium. Dd is currently getting a high B in math and a high B in English. All the rest are A's. So i think she is doing well. She's just a slow worker. And the amount that they are sending home is outrageous. She is only in school for 6 1/2 hours ... They have 8 classes. Not very much time. So work does not get done in class. It's mostly lecture time and then the work is sent home. I am thinking of just implementing a new schedule for her after school so that she can get started right away and hopefully be done by the time I get home. Since she has been going to tutoring, she isn't getting home until 530 to get started. Maybe if she gets home at 4, by 6 she can be done if she picks up the pace.

Quoting wenchmommy381:

If she can't finish in a timely fashion, that is about as problematic as not understanding it. While I'm sure she can handle it, it's only going to get worse. Only if she already knows that she wants to go into a field where understanding math and logic is absolutely necessary (computer science or economics, for example) would I suggest she press on. 

As a teacher who has worked with college admissions reps before, we have agreed that it would be better to see students who are successful at their mid-level classes than struggling with all accelerated classes. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN