Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Update from a previous post about 11 year old with friend issues

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi everyone. I posted a while back about my 11 year old having friend issues. We went back and forth about him changing schools (from private to public). We got our info for the public school and went on a tour and my son decided he wanted to give the public school a go. It has been just over a month now and knock on wood he is doing great. He joined golf and drama club and is looking into joining bowling this winter along with a fitness club. He is still in Scouts and will do basketball with the old school. He made quite a few new friends at the new school but has yet to hang out with any of them after school. Even girls are talking to him in school and after. He was ignored at the old school pretty much by everyone, and bullied by 1 most of the time. I am still hoping he gets to start hanging out with kids after school but at least he seems happier when he gets out of school and kids talk to him now in school. When in doubt, I say take a chance or you'll never know if things can be better. Keep your fingers crossed for him that he gets close to some of these kids so he can get out more often. Thanks for all your advice with my original post...asking if you thought he should change schools. So far it was the best thing for him.

by on Sep. 29, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Replies (11-15):
MissyB1011
by Member on Oct. 1, 2012 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad your son is doing well and getting along better.

This subject has been the topic of discussion at our house. We just went on a tour of our local public school and met with the teachers during open house to see what was going on. DD is actually excited.

catngabsmom
by Erica on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

good

kam4ngc
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:10 AM

@missyb1011....it was a hard decision, not knowing if the public school would be better for my son. To be honest if he didn't say he wanted to try it, I am not sure I would have forced him. He was very excited once he toured with the principal. I work at the old school and I don't see a change in the kids this year from last so I am sure he would still be miserable if he had stayed. He does miss some things about it, but so does the other kid who transferred with him. Good luck with your DD.

mamarj
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
It is good that you figured out what is best for him. I think it always depends on the school and not so much whether it is public or private. My DD goes to a private school but the neighbor kids all go to the local public school. She hears scary stories all the time from them and comes to me thanking me for sending her to her school. I've known families to change from public to private and vise versa. The one downfall of private is that the kids don't change year to year and since they are smaller classes the problems do tend to carry to the next year. Public with larger classes is probably the best for your child because there are more options as far as who he meshes the best with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kam4ngc
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I agree mamarj...it depends on the school and the individual. My son did well at the private school for many years but things do change. He did need to meet more kids, that's for sure. He still has a long way to go, but his maturity level has already gone way up since he switched schools. Private school is great, but just wasn't doing well for my son. My older son graduated from the private school and he did just fine, so yes depends on the child and the school. Glad your DD likes her school! I hate seeing ANY child unhappy, especially about going to school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN