Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Junior High Field Trips

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM
  • 13 Replies

Does your tween's junior high/middle school still go on field trips?

If so, how often are they going? Any overnight trips?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:55 AM

In sixth grade, the class trip is to a local camp with cabins.  The kids spend a long weekend there doing science experiments and adventures - it all revolves around science.  

In eighth grade, the class trip is a long weekend in Washington DC.  In eleventh grade, the class trip is a long weekend in New York City.

Other than those big trips, different school clubs do go on day field trips to different locations of interest for that particular club.  These field trips are only open to members of that particular club.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:00 AM

We live in a major metro area, and so I was used to my son's elementary school going on regular field trips. They probably averaged 1 field trip a month, maybe a little more.

Well, we're only a month into junior high, and my son has already gone on one field trip. Now he has another one this week. Before the end of the month, he has another one. Given that they change classes, I'm just surprised that they have so many.

There are some overnight field trip opportunities later in the year, but it sounds like there are limited spots. My son already said he wants to go on the science field trip, and not the French immersion camp field trip. He said that kids have to write an essay to apply for the available spots. I think the school said the overnight trips are on weekends.

darci16
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Ds just started middle school, so I don't know of any over night field trips, but I did hear that they do something during the year, but they only go for a few hours not the whole day.

Lorena
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM
They do some but not many. Mostly they do a trip "fun day" for everyone that makes it in the honer roll that quarter. Some electives have trips. Band and chior take a lot if trips to compete. Then in 8th they go to Washington DC for a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Ds1 has gone on a few. He had 3 in 5th gr, but they've cut out 2 of them now. He had 1 on 6th gr for science; that one was cool- they went to a local park and measured different things about the water in the river. He went on 1 in Spanish last yr in 7th, and will go on another one in Spanish later on this school yr.

The only overnight field trip he's ever had was actually in 4th gr.

Rogue35
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:22 PM
None overnight. But every now and then they will take one. Some of them have been after school. Our school does alot of Rachel's challege events.
Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Quoting Rogue35:

None overnight. But every now and then they will take one. Some of them have been after school. Our school does alot of Rachel's challege events.

What is that?

VickyJoJo
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM

My daughter has had a field trip  or 2 every year.  In 7th grade (this year), they will go to an Art Museum to see the Eygptian exhibit related to their study of the world.  No overnights until the 8th grade when they do go on a 3 day trip to Washington, DC.  I am not a fan of that trip because it is nonstop from 6am to 11pm for 3 days straight.  They try to cram too much in. 

There was also the 6th grade field trip to the roller skating rink.  More fun than educational. 

TempestRayne
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Not in middle school yet: )
psych_mom
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM
I don't know if they do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)