Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tonight's my first meeting as a board member **UPDATE in red

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM
  • 17 Replies

I totally didn't see myself as a board member for any organization at all.  I am happy to help out and am often volunteering at many events (i.e. PTA, coaching, etc) but this year I decided to be a board member for our league as the coach coordinator for softball.  I have really great ideas on training coaches and...well, i have degrees in them too.  But, more importantly, I'm going to be representing many voices that are frustrated with the league because it seems like they don't pay that much attention to softball.  They expect us to have the same divisions as baseball but what they don't understand is that we don't have the numbers that they do.  They have not listened so far so I figure that I would just jump in on the board and make them listen.  What's funny is that I'm the ONLY one that has PLAYED softball from 8years old through college and even coached at all the levels that I played....yet, for some reason my experience hasn't been worth a penny.....until now.  WATCH OUT!  :)

So, I attended the meeting and it was casual.....since it was at a pizza place.  We were going through the logistics of the league and the agenda.  Then the last agenda item was "divisions" which I thought, "GREAT!  They want to talk about it."  No.  It was about BASEBALL as usual.  Fine.  They talked in length about a new division for baseball.  After that conversation, they were about to be done.  Wait...what?  No, I don't think so.  So, as soon as the President said, "is there anything else?"  I raised my hand and asked, "can we talk about softball?"  He let me talk and talked about the benefits of changing the divisions to not only reflect ALL THE OTHER leagues and softball organizations but to also increase the number of teams per division.  Well, it got really heated because the two guys that created the divisions that are in place now really got pissed and was totally against it.  I was merely proposing my divisions as a back-up in case we don't have the numbers to get more teams per division.  Well, the other members (who are mostly baseball) were at least interested in what I had to hear because I don't think they realized how much of a problem it is.  On the baseball side, they have tons of teams per division.

Anyways, anytime i was talking, these two guys kept blurting out crap.  I would pause, take a deep breath, and asked them nicely for me to finish.  Well, they kept doing it and finally the President spoke up (and loudly) and said, "If you have a problem listening, get off the board.  If you have a problem with YOUR idea being challenged, get off the board.  We have new board members with new ideas so at least give people the respect to present it!"  I was very happy he said that.  So, I will need to present a thorough proposal why I think these divisions should be considered and we are going to vote at the end of the month.  Several baseball guys on the board is really interested in hearing about what I have to say because they had no idea what was going on with softball.  Apparently those representing softball are presenting things as "hunky dory".

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Good luck.  Remember to try to keep your cool when speaking, even if you feel attacked and also try to refrain from using the word "You" too often instead reword your sentences using the word "I".  That good advice was given to me this summer by a great CM friend when I was worried about taking over as PTA President.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Good for you! I don't have much experience with softball, but even I didn't agree with some of the things you've posted about this season. I'm happy that you are taking action to help fix some of those issues.

I wish you success, and remember that we're hear to listen when you need to vent!

psych_mom
by Stacy on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Woohoo! You go Valerie! Keep us posted on how it all goes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TempestRayne
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 3:18 PM
Good luck.
M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 2, 2012 at 4:24 PM
Definitely. Thanks for the reminder.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Good luck.  Remember to try to keep your cool when speaking, even if you feel attacked and also try to refrain from using the word "You" too often instead reword your sentences using the word "I".  That good advice was given to me this summer by a great CM friend when I was worried about taking over as PTA President.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM

How'd it go?

M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:22 PM
I'm in CA....we haven't met yet.

Quoting wakymom:

How'd it go?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:41 PM

D'oh! Hm, did I know that? I probably forgot- I blame Mommy Brain.  Well, after you do, let us know : )

Quoting M4LG5:

I'm in CA....we haven't met yet.

Quoting wakymom:

How'd it go?

M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM

BUMP!

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Great update! I'm glad that you took an active roll in this issue, and I'm happy to hear that the President supported you coming forward and your role on the Board.

This is a positive start to hopefully improving the situation!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)