Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

As I'm sure you all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Critics have also called it "pink-tober" because of all the pink ribbons and other items that have been made pink for the month.

It is everywhere. Football players with bright pink gloves and shoes, rows of pink teddy bears, 5Ks and cupcake sales filled with folks in big pink T-shirts. (Heck, I'm selling PartyLite Glo-Jar candles this month with the promise of donations to the American Cancer Society. But this isn't an ad...) We've even gotten rather "blue" about Pink-tober, with "Save the Ta-tas" bumper stickers and shirts that cry out "feel your boobies." 

This month is not without controversy. Last year, KFC raised money with their pink buckets, depsite the fact that fried food consumption has been linked to cancer. The incessant memes on Facebook, that started out innocently enough with women posting what color bra they were wearing until the posts were discussed in the evening news, took a disturbing turn when the "secret code" implied that participating women were pregnant. Sites like this one encourage people to examine the business practices of those companies celebrating Pink-tober. 

So how do you feel about this month's campaigns?Are there specific companies you will or will not support because of their Pink-tober campaigns? Are you tired of it? Or does it really mean something to you, that you would be willing to share?

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Replies (141-144):
MrsMae
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:19 PM
They could already have a cure, but think about it! There's so much money to be made in cancer research they don't mind a few of us dying to say we need more money! I am a survivor myself, but I give God all of the credit for my cure! :-) I don't mind the hype. I hope they raise lots of money and cure a lot of people,
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrymomma81
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:42 PM

If I'm already buying the product I'll try to find one with a pink label. If I'm not going to buy it, having a pink label won't make me buy it. 

It doesn't bother me at all but I do wish that more diseases got this much recognition. 

Crazy-Steph
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I posted this in another group, but here are the girls:

Quoting Crazy-Steph:

I don't really have an opinion on it.  My daughter's basketball team is "Pinking Out" for the month.  They have pink shoelaces, headbands, undershirts and socks.  Even their warmup balls are pink.

yinyang6788
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:03 PM

my grandmother died of breast cancer. and i am proud to say that i sell Avon which sells pink ribbon products all yr round to support the breast cancer foundation. we all need to be reminded each year that we have to watch out for this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)