Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

As I'm sure you all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Critics have also called it "pink-tober" because of all the pink ribbons and other items that have been made pink for the month.

It is everywhere. Football players with bright pink gloves and shoes, rows of pink teddy bears, 5Ks and cupcake sales filled with folks in big pink T-shirts. (Heck, I'm selling PartyLite Glo-Jar candles this month with the promise of donations to the American Cancer Society. But this isn't an ad...) We've even gotten rather "blue" about Pink-tober, with "Save the Ta-tas" bumper stickers and shirts that cry out "feel your boobies." 

This month is not without controversy. Last year, KFC raised money with their pink buckets, depsite the fact that fried food consumption has been linked to cancer. The incessant memes on Facebook, that started out innocently enough with women posting what color bra they were wearing until the posts were discussed in the evening news, took a disturbing turn when the "secret code" implied that participating women were pregnant. Sites like this one encourage people to examine the business practices of those companies celebrating Pink-tober. 

So how do you feel about this month's campaigns?Are there specific companies you will or will not support because of their Pink-tober campaigns? Are you tired of it? Or does it really mean something to you, that you would be willing to share?

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Replies (101-110):
newmommy430
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM
I'm always all about donating to a cause that may save lives or help improve the quality of someone's life. It doesn't matter if it's cancer, diabetes, MS, autism, or other charities. I will gladly give what I can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumaSue
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Totally agree with you here. They see it as a way to increase sales if they adopt a pink theme and say we'll donate x if you put in y code etc. Why not just give so much per sale in the month of Oct and be done with it.

Having my SO die of cancer in Feb this year, things like this are very close to my heart but as psych_mom said, I would rather donate directly to teh companies that research breast cancer.

Quoting psych_mom:

I would rather donate directly to the companies that research breast cancer than buy a product that may or may not give money. For example- Yoplait Yogurt. They give a certain amount of money from the lids that are entered usually (not sure if they are doing it this year) but why not give money regardless? Not only that, when you read the ingredients in the yogurt, it isn't that healthy anyways so I stopped buying it. I think a lot of comapanies are using it as a selling point and not to do good.

RelaxedMom2-3
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Only like 2 cents out of all the money made with that is actually donated to breast cancer research. I have gotten to where I hate October because of it. It used to be my favorite month. There are so many other forms of cancer that you never even here or know about. Then October rolls around and pink is literally everywhere you turn. I pray for every single person dealing with cancer and people who have lost family to cancer, including breast cancer.  But I lost my mother to  melanoma, my sister to ovarian and my god son to pediatric cancer.  It would be nice if all the other cancers would get the some publicity for awareness.

mamacjohnson
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I would have to agree 100%! Just last year I made a comment that it was a little disturbing that there was so much attention to the breast cancer awareness, and that it overshadowed other forms of cancer and cancer research.  I was verbally attacked by co-workers and even lost some social activity at work because of it.  I felt like a bad person for thinking that way, but with all the good intentions.  I think it is up to us as women, and human beings, to start to bring awareness to other forms of cancer.  

I'm fine with all of the support about breast cancer. But how come we don't pay attention to all the other cancers? August is National Ovarian Cancer month but no one seems to care. Everyone just cares about breast cancer. Even though there are more deadlier cancers out there. People just partcipate in the month because breasts are oversexualized. Breasts are attractive to most people not like lungs or prostates.

Tal0n
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Yes, it's way overkill, esp since I no longer support the Susan B. Komman (or however its spelled) foundation.

And my mother, MIL, girlfriend and grandmother are (were, in the case of MIL; she died of other causes) breast cancer survivors.

If all the money raised were actually put toward a cure, there would be one by now.  Or several.

LeiOKeOla
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:09 PM
I think it's gotten extremely overboard. I'm sure they're all not legit, well, that's my belief. I only do Susan Komen, and the cancer walk for children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your SO to cancer. Hugs to you!

Quoting MumaSue:

Totally agree with you here. They see it as a way to increase sales if they adopt a pink theme and say we'll donate x if you put in y code etc. Why not just give so much per sale in the month of Oct and be done with it.

Having my SO die of cancer in Feb this year, things like this are very close to my heart but as psych_mom said, I would rather donate directly to teh companies that research breast cancer.

Quoting psych_mom:

I would rather donate directly to the companies that research breast cancer than buy a product that may or may not give money. For example- Yoplait Yogurt. They give a certain amount of money from the lids that are entered usually (not sure if they are doing it this year) but why not give money regardless? Not only that, when you read the ingredients in the yogurt, it isn't that healthy anyways so I stopped buying it. I think a lot of comapanies are using it as a selling point and not to do good.

mom23heathens
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:30 PM

I'm not against it. I only participate when i feel like it. It is a really important cause for so many people and they feel strongly about it. Not everyone id going to have the same feelings about every cause. Obviously a person with breast cancer or a relative will feel strongly for this cause. Some will feel just as strong for the spca or march of dimes.

k4m7d93
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I donate directly and walk for Breast Cancer. My grandmother is a 10 year breast cancer surivor, if it wasn't for her I don't know how I'd get through my pregnancy.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM
It didn't used to bother me but when Susan G Komen went after Planned Parenthhod, I was really turned off. DS woore pink shoelaces for football las year and asked for them again this year. At a children's cancer walk last week, he had the balloon artist make him a breast cancer balloon so while I'm not of a fan, I keep my opinion to myself because I love that he cares and don' want to spoil it for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN