Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

As I'm sure you all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Critics have also called it "pink-tober" because of all the pink ribbons and other items that have been made pink for the month.

It is everywhere. Football players with bright pink gloves and shoes, rows of pink teddy bears, 5Ks and cupcake sales filled with folks in big pink T-shirts. (Heck, I'm selling PartyLite Glo-Jar candles this month with the promise of donations to the American Cancer Society. But this isn't an ad...) We've even gotten rather "blue" about Pink-tober, with "Save the Ta-tas" bumper stickers and shirts that cry out "feel your boobies." 

This month is not without controversy. Last year, KFC raised money with their pink buckets, depsite the fact that fried food consumption has been linked to cancer. The incessant memes on Facebook, that started out innocently enough with women posting what color bra they were wearing until the posts were discussed in the evening news, took a disturbing turn when the "secret code" implied that participating women were pregnant. Sites like this one encourage people to examine the business practices of those companies celebrating Pink-tober. 

So how do you feel about this month's campaigns?Are there specific companies you will or will not support because of their Pink-tober campaigns? Are you tired of it? Or does it really mean something to you, that you would be willing to share?

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Replies (11-20):
TwinSoccerMom
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

LOL! Well...that makes sense. If the color is something that you like, it matches your decor and you can help a good cause then that is awesome. Just not my thing.  :-)

Quoting psych_mom:

Well, now, I do like those pink appliances but only because they would look cute in my vintage kitchen, lol. 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually have to agree with this.

And besides I won't buy anything PINK if I can help it. I am not a fan of pink.

I am however doing my font pink, in honor of this month.

Quoting wakymom:

I think it's overdone. Pink kitchen gadgets, pink tools, pink ribbons printed on practically everything. I've even seen pink light-up reindeer lawn Christmas decorations, complete w/ pink ribbon on the box- seriously?! To me, that is just jumping on the bandwagon to make more $. I also don't like some of the things I've heard about Komen and how it uses funds and some of the other things it's been criticized for.

My fil passed away from prostate cancer, and a girl I knew in h.s. passed away a few days after our 20th reunion from ovarian cancer. Where are the big public awareness pushes for those? And what about heart disease? More women die from that than breast cancer, yet February's awareness month for that is totally overshadowed by Valentine's Day and all the pink stuff that is still out there.

Ok, getting off my soapbox now : )

Amberrosesmom
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

That's got to be difficult.  I'm sorry for your loss.  My mom has had cancer twice already, not breast cancer though.   

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

I am thoroughly sick of it. I am glad that so many people are trying to help (although I am doubtful as to how much actually goes to research) but it is a month long reminder of how my mother died.

in love  Marie

Infinite1221
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Watch Pink Ribbons Inc.  then you might reconsider all this pink stuff!!!

Sarah & Ky :)

Ultra_
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I try to support things when I can, but sometimes I just don't like it. A $30 product and they're donating $2 of every one sold? That's peanuts! I'd buy it if said they were donating $15 of every one sold. It seems like most big companies do it just to boost sales of things. Even if people aren't trying to support BCA & research, they may be more likely to buy something just because it's pink and they like pink. So they get a boost from that as well. It's like a publicity stunt. They want to be seen and known as big supporters, like they "care" about the customers. Then I get mad. I do and have always, since before that site researcged charities and companies and how much money is being donated and where it is going.

Caitlinsmom09
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Last month was childhood cancer awareness which I'm very passionate about and I didn't see a single thing gold or really much about it at all. It's sad.

Breast cancer support is important but so is support and awareness for other types of cancer. The pink is way over played and I doubt much of the profit really goes to benefit the actual people affected.

I'll just donate directly to my charity of choice when I can. Although a little more recognition for the babies that are suffering would be nice :/

susan0317
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Thank God we have as much awareness as Breast Cancer Aweness Moth brings!  Countless lives are saved because someone saw something somewhere about Breast Cancer during this month.  Our Husbands, Brothers, Fathers, Significant Others, etc see the pro-sports ball players and even NASCAR paint jobs highlight the significance and nudge the men in our lives to ask questions about breast cancer and ask if we have been checked!  Don't scorn Pink-tober because if saves just one life it's worth it!  And that one life could be yours!

Blue_Spiral
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:54 AM
Let's just support breastfeeding instead.
jamieharper08
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:16 AM

This is so true! My dd is a Cancer survivor and even in Sept. that is all you see. Would love to see more yellow ribbons for all f our babies.

Quoting copgirl112:

I'm fine with all of the support about breast cancer. But how come we don't pay attention to all the other cancers? August is National Ovarian Cancer month but no one seems to care. Everyone just cares about breast cancer. Even though there are more deadlier cancers out there. People just partcipate in the month because breasts are oversexualized. Breasts are attractive to most people not like lungs or prostates.

romalove
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Much of the pink ribbon items you see have no real link to supporting breast cancer financially.  A company can sell pink ribbon items for "support" of breast cancer and it can be a show of support as opposed to financial support for programs.  Much of it is sold by mass market wholesalers. 

If you want to help support breast cancer programs, you are better off directly donating to programs you know do good works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)