Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

As I'm sure you all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Critics have also called it "pink-tober" because of all the pink ribbons and other items that have been made pink for the month.

It is everywhere. Football players with bright pink gloves and shoes, rows of pink teddy bears, 5Ks and cupcake sales filled with folks in big pink T-shirts. (Heck, I'm selling PartyLite Glo-Jar candles this month with the promise of donations to the American Cancer Society. But this isn't an ad...) We've even gotten rather "blue" about Pink-tober, with "Save the Ta-tas" bumper stickers and shirts that cry out "feel your boobies." 

This month is not without controversy. Last year, KFC raised money with their pink buckets, depsite the fact that fried food consumption has been linked to cancer. The incessant memes on Facebook, that started out innocently enough with women posting what color bra they were wearing until the posts were discussed in the evening news, took a disturbing turn when the "secret code" implied that participating women were pregnant. Sites like this one encourage people to examine the business practices of those companies celebrating Pink-tober. 

So how do you feel about this month's campaigns?Are there specific companies you will or will not support because of their Pink-tober campaigns? Are you tired of it? Or does it really mean something to you, that you would be willing to share?

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Replies (121-130):
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:49 PM
3 moms liked this

This is how I feel. Why only breast cancer, it's not even the most deadly of them.

And It's called "Awareness Month", I'm pretty sure most people are 'aware' of it now. Now I am not saying anything against Breast Cancer or belittling survivors, or anything even close to that. My aunt had breast Cancer and it was horrible. But it's not the only one.

My grandfather died of Lung Cancer. My pastors wife I believe had Leukemia (though it might have been Lupus) , my father-in-law had to be tested for thyroid cancer and that was an intense time.

According to this site   

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39102353/ns/health-cancer/t/top-deadliest-cancers-why-theres-no-cure/#.UHOQaFGtCWs

Lung and brocial cancer killed almost 3 times as many people that breast cancer did. And I haven't heard anything about it, till I read this article. ( I though Colon was number 1)

How about increasing awareness of all the cancers.

Quoting copgirl112:

I'm fine with all of the support about breast cancer. But how come we don't pay attention to all the other cancers? August is National Ovarian Cancer month but no one seems to care. Everyone just cares about breast cancer. Even though there are more deadlier cancers out there. People just partcipate in the month because breasts are oversexualized. Breasts are attractive to most people not like lungs or prostates.

I very rarely bother to check a board twice, so debate, get mad, or whatever it is that'll make you feel better, if you don't like what I have to say, because it won't bother me :)sticking out tongue

mandy18192
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I had no idea September was child cancer awareness month. A close friend of my family's 13 year old son has a brain tumor:/
butterdaisy
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly! Rare cancers or uncommon cancers need AWARENESS. If you dont know about breast cancer by now and educating those around you then you're not going to. At what point is it just a get rich quick scheme tool? I'd say a long time ago.

Quoting dilateyourmind:

I think the campaign IS a success. its time to drop it and move on to making people aware of say Lung Cancer. That you don't have to be a smoker to get it. Thyroid cancer. The fasting growing cancer in women. WE KNOW WE KNOW..about breast cancer. NEXT!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saraw575
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I think it's BS that the NFL gets fined if they dont have at least one article of pink on. What're they trying to prove? It's phony and forced. Who started that? And yes, there are far more deadly cancers we neglect. Not to say that breast cancer awareness is not equally important, but we need to tone down the phony products and donate directly to the cause.

saraw575
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM

BUMP!

LadyMaverick135
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I've wondered though, why does it always have to involve pink. I mean seriously, I have heard of men having breast cancer, not as much as women, but they do get it as well.confused

cdjak
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no problem with anything involving cancer awareness and fundraising, as long as the companies are really making the donations. But like some other posters, I also think that one particular kind of cancer (breast) is getting too much attention, while ignoring the rest. I realize that breast cancer is more common than many other types; more women are affected, and so maybe it does need a little more attention. But I can tell you that when my daughter had lymphoma, she was every bit as sick and miserable as a breast cancer victim while undergoing chemo. We worried for her life just the same, and still worry about recurrence. I guess there just aren't any catchy phrases to put on a t-shirt about lymphoma/leukemia. There's just nothing cute about it.
dorkish_face
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:08 AM

I love it, my grandmother died of Breast Cancer - I have worn my pink Breast Cancer bracelet for about 7 years - I love all of the cute clothing and items that you can find. Eh I love it, I love thinking of all the awesome things that my grandmother did for our family. I miss her everyday but idk it's soothing to me.

VegasJellyFish
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I want to know why such a big deal is made this month about breast cancer and pink, but last month was childhood cancer and gold and you didn't see hardly anything said about it. Aren't all cancers important to stop?

AgGurl92
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:43 AM

october is also National Pitbull Awareness Month but no one really pays attention to that b/c its drowned out by pink tober....

more pits are killed a year than breast cancer sufferers....

just sayin'.

Yes I have family that suffered from breast cancer and i am a canidate for it as well because it is hereditary ontop of other factors that play into it. but the pink-tober is just crazy. Like other members before - why cant companies just doante money instead of using it as a marketing ploy?? Because for them, that's all it really is. I'd like to know of one national company that actually donates more than half the amount they earn from the "Pink" things they sell to breast cancer research.  I don't know of really any that do, and some of them I'm not even sure they actually donate it!! I refuse to buy anything pink, instead i just donate to hospitals when I can and wear my breast cancer awareness bracelet - and always remind my older family members to make sure they check because it runs in our family. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN