Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

As I'm sure you all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Critics have also called it "pink-tober" because of all the pink ribbons and other items that have been made pink for the month.

It is everywhere. Football players with bright pink gloves and shoes, rows of pink teddy bears, 5Ks and cupcake sales filled with folks in big pink T-shirts. (Heck, I'm selling PartyLite Glo-Jar candles this month with the promise of donations to the American Cancer Society. But this isn't an ad...) We've even gotten rather "blue" about Pink-tober, with "Save the Ta-tas" bumper stickers and shirts that cry out "feel your boobies." 

This month is not without controversy. Last year, KFC raised money with their pink buckets, depsite the fact that fried food consumption has been linked to cancer. The incessant memes on Facebook, that started out innocently enough with women posting what color bra they were wearing until the posts were discussed in the evening news, took a disturbing turn when the "secret code" implied that participating women were pregnant. Sites like this one encourage people to examine the business practices of those companies celebrating Pink-tober. 

So how do you feel about this month's campaigns?Are there specific companies you will or will not support because of their Pink-tober campaigns? Are you tired of it? Or does it really mean something to you, that you would be willing to share?

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Replies (21-30):
NHGal
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Breast Cancer has a good PR machine and that is that.  I work for a company hoping to develop drugs to help treat, beat back cancer and there is a program out there for every one of the cancers, they just don't affect as many people or as visible, both medically and physically.

If you want your cause to have an impact like breast cancer, get out there and be vocal!

As for all of the pink stuff.  I buy it sometimes, but only if I need it.  My MIL is a breast cancer survivor so I know the unknowns of what goes along with it.

Venae
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep, sick to death of it - just mail in a check.  Keep wondering when we'll see brown ribbons for colon cancer, blue ribbons for testicular cancer, etc.  Also wanna puke every time I see a "Save the Ta Tas" ribbon.  Where's the "Save the Gonads" ribbon?

ambermario4ever
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:54 AM
I think it is good to make people aware and put the info out there and even to raise money for research. But I think other cancer deserve just as much attention such as childhood cancers.
specialwingz
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I am a stage III colon cancer survior.  I lost my aunt and an ex-SIL to breast cancer.  And, I'm SICK of it.  If people knew how much $$$ was spent for the promotion of all that PINK, they would be sick of it, too.  Very little of the money goes towards the actual research after all the overhead is paid.

I really get tired of all the attention that is put on breast cancer when there are a lot of other cancers that need just as much attention.  I dare you to tell someone with colon cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer, blood cancer, etc, that they are not as important as someone with breast cancer.

So, folks, if you really want your money to get to the research part of the matter, donate directly to the American Cancer Society.  Cut out all the unnecessary advertising and promotional costs. 

diospira
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Quoting psych_mom:

You're welcome:) I agree with you. I think they do it to make themselves look like they are doing something good and not because they really care about it. Women are the main shoppers and they know this will catch our attention and we will buy products that will hopefully help a cause that will help us- but I don't buy half the stuff they say they are selling to support the cause because half of it has been linked to causing cancer with all the additives in it. If they want to help us, they should make their products healthier, lol.

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

Thank you, I appreciate the virtual hug.  :-)   It gets easier to deal with each year. But now I just feel like this is the "cause of the day" and the support isn't always sincere.  It is more about selling their product than helping out. That gets irritating.

Quoting psych_mom:

It would be hard having something like that put in your face so much. Hugs!

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

I am thoroughly sick of it. I am glad that so many people are trying to help (although I am doubtful as to how much actually goes to research) but it is a month long reminder of how my mother died.

This.

It is a ploy to make us buy more and to make the corporations look good.

If they really cared about reducing cancer, they wouldn´t sell products that have been shown to cause it.

Peace

I posted a journal on this a few years back.

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1627442/Just_say_No_to_Pinkwashing

specialwingz
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM

The reason breast cancer gets so much attention is because Susan G. Komen's sister, Nancy was married to a wealthy man, named Norman Brinker, who started the foundation as "something for the little wife to do".  I know the man personally.  Yes, it started out as a past-time for the wife when she lost her sister.  And, it just grew from there.

Actually, colon cancer is the largest killer and is known throughout the medical field as "the silent killer" because it isn't as readily detectible as feeling a lump in your breast for breast cancer.  Many to most colon cancers are not detected until the patient exhibits intestinal issues, which is most often too late.

Not everyone has the $$$ to start a foundation for the benefit of cancer patients/victims.  And, it shouldn't be about who can shout the loudest and be in your face the most by spending millions on advertising and promotion.  Just think what THAT money could do in the hands of the researchers instead of advertising agencies, tee-shirt printers, ribbon companies, etc.

Quoting NHGal:

Breast Cancer has a good PR machine and that is that.  I work for a company hoping to develop drugs to help treat, beat back cancer and there is a program out there for every one of the cancers, they just don't affect as many people or as visible, both medically and physically.

If you want your cause to have an impact like breast cancer, get out there and be vocal!

As for all of the pink stuff.  I buy it sometimes, but only if I need it.  My MIL is a breast cancer survivor so I know the unknowns of what goes along with it.

monkeyrhea
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I just lost an aunt a week ago to breast cancer. It's almost a given in my family that if you are a female you will have breast cancer. So, I love seeing it. I don't purchase products soley on the fact that they have a pink ribbon on the label, but I love seeing the fact that companies are supporting a cause. I do agree with a previous poster...we absolutely should be recognizing the other forms of cancer as well. I don't think that one deserves more support or attention than other.

la_bella_vita
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I think it's overdone and there needs to be awareness for so many things. Someone posted in another group it's domestic violence awareness month and someone replied that they didn't care, this month was about breast cancer...rubbed me the wrong way.

deltadawn1975
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I try to wear pink everyday in October and so does my dd. My mom found out 5 years ago on the 4th of this month that she had breast cancer (she is cancer free. She had to have 5 weeks of radiation and take a pill for 5 years, this December she will finish that part) I would love to be able to support every company that donates to breast cancer, but I can't. I do try to buy something each october to do my part to help with the research though.

pink ribbonIn honor of my mom who is a survivor

workoutmom2b1g
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Until you have been directly affected by any cancer, I don't even think this should be a question. How does me wearing a pink ribbon, shoes, hat etc affect anyone else. It's a awareness at the least.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)