Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

As I'm sure you all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Critics have also called it "pink-tober" because of all the pink ribbons and other items that have been made pink for the month.

It is everywhere. Football players with bright pink gloves and shoes, rows of pink teddy bears, 5Ks and cupcake sales filled with folks in big pink T-shirts. (Heck, I'm selling PartyLite Glo-Jar candles this month with the promise of donations to the American Cancer Society. But this isn't an ad...) We've even gotten rather "blue" about Pink-tober, with "Save the Ta-tas" bumper stickers and shirts that cry out "feel your boobies." 

This month is not without controversy. Last year, KFC raised money with their pink buckets, depsite the fact that fried food consumption has been linked to cancer. The incessant memes on Facebook, that started out innocently enough with women posting what color bra they were wearing until the posts were discussed in the evening news, took a disturbing turn when the "secret code" implied that participating women were pregnant. Sites like this one encourage people to examine the business practices of those companies celebrating Pink-tober. 

So how do you feel about this month's campaigns?Are there specific companies you will or will not support because of their Pink-tober campaigns? Are you tired of it? Or does it really mean something to you, that you would be willing to share?

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Replies (31-40):
MrsLeftlane
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

My Mom and Grandmother both had breast cancer.. Both are deceased, but not from BC. My Mom's cancer started in her kidney and then spread all over, and my Grandma had a stroke...

I don't buy any of the "pink" stuff, it's a money machine IMO. The Susan G. Komen charity, is an industry now, and those that buy anything related are just putting money into her pocket... I don't care how much they think they're contributing to the cure, there won't be a cure, because then too many will lose jobs, and the cancer industry would go broke. (IMO)

CABZS
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I think it is great & I see no issue with it.

I wonder if people would be upset if they did this for Autism or something else.

If you are worried they don't actually donate then research, but typically if they say a portion of their sales are donated then they are.

Now what that money is used for once it has been donated, well that isn't up to the company.

DiANAiVELiSSE
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Quoting copgirl112:

I'm fine with all of the support about breast cancer. But how come we don't pay attention to all the other cancers? August is National Ovarian Cancer month but no one seems to care. Everyone just cares about breast cancer. Even though there are more deadlier cancers out there. People just partcipate in the month because breasts are oversexualized. Breasts are attractive to most people not like lungs or prostates.

I agree! My aunt pased away of Colon Cancer @ the age of 42! and my cousins father has pancriatic cancer..

HaileysMom07180
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM

it is overkill.  i'm all for supporting breast cancer, but it sorta invalidates the severity of other cancers and really if caught on time, breast cancer isn't the most deadly cancer out there and those campains make the other types of cancers not seem so bad.  Don't get me wrong i feel for those who are going through breast cancer, its still a tough battle.  but what about the women that have ovarian cancer, or leuchemia or stomach cancer, don't they count and get a walk and a color?

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I also agree with you, for the most part. My understanding part of the focus on supporting breast cancer as opposed to cancers that both sexes get or that males only get is because the traditional medical community was only spending research money and resources on male health, and not female health and diseases. With all the focus on breast cancer over the past decade or two, I'm not sure if that has changed. But before the big push for breast cancer awareness, more money was already being spend on cures and treatments for prostate cancer as opposed to cancers specific to the female body.

As you know, Kandice and I were trying to increase leukemia awareness last month, and we saw very little support on CM. Given that my mom has a leukemia related disease, I see how little and few treatment options there are out there besides bone marrow transplants, and my mother is too old to survive a procedure that painful. I definitely agree that there should be more focus on ALL cancers, and even though my mom has also had breast cancer, I also truly wish that October focused on awareness and support of ALL cancers instead of just breast cancer.

Quoting wakymom:

I think it's overdone. Pink kitchen gadgets, pink tools, pink ribbons printed on practically everything. I've even seen pink light-up reindeer lawn Christmas decorations, complete w/ pink ribbon on the box- seriously?! To me, that is just jumping on the bandwagon to make more $. I also don't like some of the things I've heard about Komen and how it uses funds and some of the other things it's been criticized for.

My fil passed away from prostate cancer, and a girl I knew in h.s. passed away a few days after our 20th reunion from ovarian cancer. Where are the big public awareness pushes for those? And what about heart disease? More women die from that than breast cancer, yet February's awareness month for that is totally overshadowed by Valentine's Day and all the pink stuff that is still out there.

Ok, getting off my soapbox now : )

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I agree. I wish that there was just one month to show support for fighting ALL cancers. I also felt that way last month trying to make posts on CM about September being leukemia awareness month. Very few responses.

Quoting copgirl112:

I'm fine with all of the support about breast cancer. But how come we don't pay attention to all the other cancers? August is National Ovarian Cancer month but no one seems to care. Everyone just cares about breast cancer. Even though there are more deadlier cancers out there.

vinalex0581
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM

i think it's great that they are raising money to find a cure for breast cancer and i guess if advertising the way they are is a successful way to raise money then by all means, go for it.

but i think it's just to much for me.

BaBeezandMe
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

I am thoroughly sick of it. I am glad that so many people are trying to help (although I am doubtful as to how much actually goes to research) but it is a month long reminder of how my mother died.

I am so sorry for your loss.  

hugging

My husband died from stage 4 kidney cancer November 9th last year and it's bad enough that tomorrow would have been his 61st birthday PLUS in exactly 1 month from tomorrow he is gone 1 year so you can imagine how hard this month is gonna be.  I'm not sure if I could survive another month of being constantly reminded of how painful his passing was.

DayDreamer1201
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Some of it may be a little over the top, but as the grand daughter of a Breast Cancer Survivor, I appreciate everything everyone does to help find a cure. I keep my pink ribon on me every day, all day. I have my ribon tattooed on my leg.

However, I don't buy chicken in pink buckets, or pink cupcakes, or anything like that. If I am going to donate my time, or money it will be directly to the source.

samurai_chica
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I may be bashed for this...but i am sick of it. Cancer is cancer...doesn't matter if it's in your boobs, butt,  kidney, brain, liver or leg... ALL of it deserves recognition. Breast cancer steals the show....why can't it just be national cancer awareness month? Why specifically breast cancer?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)