Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

As I'm sure you all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Critics have also called it "pink-tober" because of all the pink ribbons and other items that have been made pink for the month.

It is everywhere. Football players with bright pink gloves and shoes, rows of pink teddy bears, 5Ks and cupcake sales filled with folks in big pink T-shirts. (Heck, I'm selling PartyLite Glo-Jar candles this month with the promise of donations to the American Cancer Society. But this isn't an ad...) We've even gotten rather "blue" about Pink-tober, with "Save the Ta-tas" bumper stickers and shirts that cry out "feel your boobies." 

This month is not without controversy. Last year, KFC raised money with their pink buckets, depsite the fact that fried food consumption has been linked to cancer. The incessant memes on Facebook, that started out innocently enough with women posting what color bra they were wearing until the posts were discussed in the evening news, took a disturbing turn when the "secret code" implied that participating women were pregnant. Sites like this one encourage people to examine the business practices of those companies celebrating Pink-tober. 

So how do you feel about this month's campaigns?Are there specific companies you will or will not support because of their Pink-tober campaigns? Are you tired of it? Or does it really mean something to you, that you would be willing to share?

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Replies (41-50):
psych_mom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I am hearing about more people with leukemia recently that are older and used to we associated it with younger people. Barbara, I am so sorry that this is what your mom is having to deal with. There definitely needs to be more awareness for all cancers- we are all quiet aware of breast cancer, but we don't often think of things like leukemia that is lurking out there. Maybe We just think if we ignore it, it doesn't exist and it won't affect us or our lives, but the reality is, it will in some way affect our lives, whether through friends, neighbors, family members or directly. I am going to stop ignoring these things and I am going to take notice- for you, for Kandice, my husband's counsin that just beat colon cancer, for my grandmother that fought cancer for 4 years and for all those out there that are fighting other kinds of cancer.

Quoting Barabell:

I also agree with you, for the most part. My understanding part of the focus on supporting breast cancer as opposed to cancers that both sexes get or that males only get is because the traditional medical community was only spending research money and resources on male health, and not female health and diseases. With all the focus on breast cancer over the past decade or two, I'm not sure if that has changed. But before the big push for breast cancer awareness, more money was already being spend on cures and treatments for prostate cancer as opposed to cancers specific to the female body.

As you know, Kandice and I were trying to increase leukemia awareness last month, and we saw very little support on CM. Given that my mom has a leukemia related disease, I see how little and few treatment options there are out there besides bone marrow transplants, and my mother is too old to survive a procedure that painful. I definitely agree that there should be more focus on ALL cancers, and even though my mom has also had breast cancer, I also truly wish that October focused on awareness and support of ALL cancers instead of just breast cancer.

Quoting wakymom:

I think it's overdone. Pink kitchen gadgets, pink tools, pink ribbons printed on practically everything. I've even seen pink light-up reindeer lawn Christmas decorations, complete w/ pink ribbon on the box- seriously?! To me, that is just jumping on the bandwagon to make more $. I also don't like some of the things I've heard about Komen and how it uses funds and some of the other things it's been criticized for.

My fil passed away from prostate cancer, and a girl I knew in h.s. passed away a few days after our 20th reunion from ovarian cancer. Where are the big public awareness pushes for those? And what about heart disease? More women die from that than breast cancer, yet February's awareness month for that is totally overshadowed by Valentine's Day and all the pink stuff that is still out there.

Ok, getting off my soapbox now : )

Lizzys_mommy13
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I am glad that there are so many people willing to help raise awareness of breast cancer and trying to find a cure, but why do we only have a breast cancer awareness month? There are SO MANY cancers out there. While breast cancer is the one with all the publicity and most well known, nobody talks about the other cancers really. I have an uncle with Prostate cancer. My mom had ovarian cancer, my grandmother had uterine, my aunt had cancer in her gall bladder that spread and took her life... 
It's a great thing that people are doing, but we need to educate people on other cancers out there as well. This one is overly educated. Any time I go to the dr for my paps I get told how to check for lumps in my breast and I get pamplets on breast cancer. I haven't had the correct pap in a few years because they are so focused on my boobs that they haven't done the scraping to check for the other cancers that run in my family. We need to find a balance with it. Breast cancer awareness products have started to become a little on the over bored side. I'd rather donate directly to the research itself than buy a product that may or may not actually be donating. They use it to mark up sales.

Traci_Momof2
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I think all the pink is a bit overkill.  I'm glad that there is recognition, but it's gotten to be way too much for one specific type of cancer.  My sister is a Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor.  I personally know 2 people who have died from lung cancer plus a third through a cousin of mine.  I also know a couple survivors of breast cancer.  Doesn't matter what kind of cancer it is - it's scary when the person is going through it and it can be deadly to anyone who has it.

I much prefer donating my money directly to the American Cancer Society where it can benefit research for ALL cancers, including breast cancer.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting samurai_chica:

I may be bashed for this...but i am sick of it. Cancer is cancer...doesn't matter if it's in your boobs, butt,  kidney, brain, liver or leg... ALL of it deserves recognition. Breast cancer steals the show....why can't it just be national cancer awareness month? Why specifically breast cancer?

I agree that now the shift should be towards ALL cancers now.

With that being said, the reason why there is a big focus specifically on breast cancer is even at the end of the 1900s, most of the medical research time and money has been spent on male health issues. It isn't until very recently that they discovered that some drugs react differently on a woman's body because usually all of the medical test subjects were men. Money and time was being dumped into finding cures for cancers of both sexes or male only cancers, but not much time or money was dumped into women-specific cancers, like breast cancer.

mom2gr8tgirls
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM

My life has been personally touched by breast cancer but I do think it's all too much.  However, I do like being able to buy all the pink stuff just because pink is my favorite color.  lol  I don't purchase it all thinking I'm actually help raise money, I donate directly to organizations to do that.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:08 AM

My mom had polycythemia vera for about 20 years. It is caused by a gene mutation that is not hereditary. That is where the bone marrow makes too many red blood cells. It is related to leukemia. The only way they really treated it was giving her phlebotomies when the red blood count got too high.

Within the past year, her condition changed to myelofibrosis, which is also a type of chronic leukemia. Her bone marrow has become all scared from the polycythemia. So after two decades of producing too much blood, now she is not producing enough. It causes pain in her bones, and it also causes immune issues. The only way to cure this is to do bone marrow transplants, but this disease usually only happens later in life, and so many people that have it are not candidates for a transplant. My mom can become anemic, and some of her organs swell to create more blood since her bones are not. Despite all of her blood issues, she is quite healthy. I fear that the myelofibrosis will greatly shorten her life.

Neither are cancers that will spread throughout her body, but they are still considered types of chronic leukemia.

Quoting psych_mom:

I am hearing about more people with leukemia recently that are older and used to we associated it with younger people. Barbara, I am so sorry that this is what your mom is having to deal with. There definitely needs to be more awareness for all cancers- we are all quiet aware of breast cancer, but we don't often think of things like leukemia that is lurking out there. Maybe We just think if we ignore it, it doesn't exist and it won't affect us or our lives, but the reality is, it will in some way affect our lives, whether through friends, neighbors, family members or directly. I am going to stop ignoring these things and I am going to take notice- for you, for Kandice, my husband's counsin that just beat colon cancer, for my grandmother that fought cancer for 4 years and for all those out there that are fighting other kinds of cancer.

Quoting Barabell:

I also agree with you, for the most part. My understanding part of the focus on supporting breast cancer as opposed to cancers that both sexes get or that males only get is because the traditional medical community was only spending research money and resources on male health, and not female health and diseases. With all the focus on breast cancer over the past decade or two, I'm not sure if that has changed. But before the big push for breast cancer awareness, more money was already being spend on cures and treatments for prostate cancer as opposed to cancers specific to the female body.

As you know, Kandice and I were trying to increase leukemia awareness last month, and we saw very little support on CM. Given that my mom has a leukemia related disease, I see how little and few treatment options there are out there besides bone marrow transplants, and my mother is too old to survive a procedure that painful. I definitely agree that there should be more focus on ALL cancers, and even though my mom has also had breast cancer, I also truly wish that October focused on awareness and support of ALL cancers instead of just breast cancer.

Quoting wakymom:

I think it's overdone. Pink kitchen gadgets, pink tools, pink ribbons printed on practically everything. I've even seen pink light-up reindeer lawn Christmas decorations, complete w/ pink ribbon on the box- seriously?! To me, that is just jumping on the bandwagon to make more $. I also don't like some of the things I've heard about Komen and how it uses funds and some of the other things it's been criticized for.

My fil passed away from prostate cancer, and a girl I knew in h.s. passed away a few days after our 20th reunion from ovarian cancer. Where are the big public awareness pushes for those? And what about heart disease? More women die from that than breast cancer, yet February's awareness month for that is totally overshadowed by Valentine's Day and all the pink stuff that is still out there.

furbabymum
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

To me, it's the best marketing scheme companies have come up with yet. Make it pink and send a tiny % of the sales to breast cancer research. People will buy it up like crazy because it's for "such a good cause". I'm sure companies make a huge profit off of "pink" gear. I'm rather against the whole thing.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I am right there with you Carla.  My grandfather died from Prostate cancer, my dad battled it 3 years ago and is currently cancer free.  My cousin died from Ovarian Cancer at 34 years old.  Where's the support for them?  Although in all fairness, my FIL battled breast cancer 8 years ago and is beginning another battle with it, so I do appreciate any help that he may get from this month, but wish that the wealth and support was shared more.

BTW - Men do get breast cancer as men do have breast tissue. 

Quoting wakymom:

mommynac
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM

People dying from breast cancer is the only overkill I'm seeing.

meghanf0xx
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Hey, i'm sure this is late but no all the money does not go directly to finding a cure. If you see the pink ribbon thats running all of their profits go directly to research however other companies like the susan g. koman have a cap on their donations. so they will donate (this is just an example) $450,000 but once they pass that number with the products they sold the donated money goes into the planning and all of the other things. 

Quoting taina361:

Sometimes i wonder if he money is trully used to find a cure. If they ever do will they stop the pinktober?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)