Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

As I'm sure you all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Critics have also called it "pink-tober" because of all the pink ribbons and other items that have been made pink for the month.

It is everywhere. Football players with bright pink gloves and shoes, rows of pink teddy bears, 5Ks and cupcake sales filled with folks in big pink T-shirts. (Heck, I'm selling PartyLite Glo-Jar candles this month with the promise of donations to the American Cancer Society. But this isn't an ad...) We've even gotten rather "blue" about Pink-tober, with "Save the Ta-tas" bumper stickers and shirts that cry out "feel your boobies." 

This month is not without controversy. Last year, KFC raised money with their pink buckets, depsite the fact that fried food consumption has been linked to cancer. The incessant memes on Facebook, that started out innocently enough with women posting what color bra they were wearing until the posts were discussed in the evening news, took a disturbing turn when the "secret code" implied that participating women were pregnant. Sites like this one encourage people to examine the business practices of those companies celebrating Pink-tober. 

So how do you feel about this month's campaigns?Are there specific companies you will or will not support because of their Pink-tober campaigns? Are you tired of it? Or does it really mean something to you, that you would be willing to share?

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Replies (51-60):
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

So dying from breast cancer is worse than dying from prostate cancer or ovarian cancer?  I think not!  Every person with cancer is suffering and every form of cancer needs our support.  IMO it isn't fair that one particular type of cancer seems to get all of the attention while other forms of cancer are brushed under the rug like they aren't important.

Quoting mommynac:

People dying from breast cancer is the only overkill I'm seeing.

SuperWoman8
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I'm all for anything that gets us closer to a cure, but myself, I saw we need more education and awareness about the actual disease, and less pink stuff.

I've got a housemate that has cancer and they figure it started with her breasts. In her case she consciously made the choice to ignore it all, and just take whatever life threw at her.

she of course doesn't have that attitude now, but that was her deal at the time.

mommynac
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:08 PM

My dad died of esophogeal cancer. It sucked.

I understand what the OP is saying, but I personally don't find the awareness for breast cancer raised by these campaigns offensive. I think any awareness for any type of cancer is a good thing.

Quoting steelcrazy:

So dying from breast cancer is worse than dying from prostate cancer or ovarian cancer?  I think not!  Every person with cancer is suffering and every form of cancer needs our support.  IMO it isn't fair that one particular type of cancer seems to get all of the attention while other forms of cancer are brushed under the rug like they aren't important.

Quoting mommynac:

People dying from breast cancer is the only overkill I'm seeing.

isell_avon
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM

uhhh tell me about it ! i work for a sock manufacture and I'm sick of all the pink socks , people go crazy over socks ! 

vixen42
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I always remember to get my mamogram in October because of all the pink.I lost a friend to breast cancer so I think encouraging women to get checked is a good thing and the critics can complain about something else

KenneMaw
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM
2 moms liked this

I always believed that I was the only one who felt overwhelmed by "the pink".    Thre are times when I purposely won't buy something because it supports breast cancer research.  the pink marketing machine really is amazing and those behind should be proud of their accomplishments.  However, women are more likely to die of heart disease than all cancers combined, yet there is very little awareness of heart disease.   It is really hard to fathom that with ALL of the money raised for breast cancer research that more isn't known.   Chemo and radiation are still horrific, if not barbaric, treatments.   My grandmother died of cancer in 1977 and honestly, the chemo and radiation hasn't changed that much.   THey have made great strides with leukemia treatment and non-Hodgkins.  This doesn't mean we shouldn't support cancer research, but I think other cancers are more aggressive and deadly.

GirlWithANikon
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

it annoys me, why is it we are only aware of breast cancer? There are a lot of cancers... They don't get the same attention and deserve it I feel. It was cool at first, now my batteries are pink and since you only need to donate 5% of profit to be charity, i feel like they probably aren't so much as donating as they are marketing.

Crazy-Steph
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I don't really have an opinion on it.  My daughter's basketball team is "Pinking Out" for the month.  They have pink shoelaces, headbands, undershirts and socks.  Even their warmup balls are pink.

Marimaru
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I think it's a joke to think all the money being donated to cancer research is actually being used for cancer research.  There are treatments out there that are not being used because the pharmaceutical companies want to make more money. 

I won't specifically go or not go to a company because of whether or not they are collecting for cancer, but I won't specifically donate either.  There are other charity organizations that I would prefer to donate to that help people who have cancer pay their bills, or help with transportation for treatments and such.

TwinSoccerMom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Wow! I am very sorry for your loss.  I can not imagine how difficult this must all be for you.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Quoting BaBeezandMe:

Quoting TwinSoccerMom:

I am thoroughly sick of it. I am glad that so many people are trying to help (although I am doubtful as to how much actually goes to research) but it is a month long reminder of how my mother died.

I am so sorry for your loss.  

hugging

My husband died from stage 4 kidney cancer November 9th last year and it's bad enough that tomorrow would have been his 61st birthday PLUS in exactly 1 month from tomorrow he is gone 1 year so you can imagine how hard this month is gonna be.  I'm not sure if I could survive another month of being constantly reminded of how painful his passing was.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN