Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

As I'm sure you all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. Critics have also called it "pink-tober" because of all the pink ribbons and other items that have been made pink for the month.

It is everywhere. Football players with bright pink gloves and shoes, rows of pink teddy bears, 5Ks and cupcake sales filled with folks in big pink T-shirts. (Heck, I'm selling PartyLite Glo-Jar candles this month with the promise of donations to the American Cancer Society. But this isn't an ad...) We've even gotten rather "blue" about Pink-tober, with "Save the Ta-tas" bumper stickers and shirts that cry out "feel your boobies." 

This month is not without controversy. Last year, KFC raised money with their pink buckets, depsite the fact that fried food consumption has been linked to cancer. The incessant memes on Facebook, that started out innocently enough with women posting what color bra they were wearing until the posts were discussed in the evening news, took a disturbing turn when the "secret code" implied that participating women were pregnant. Sites like this one encourage people to examine the business practices of those companies celebrating Pink-tober. 

So how do you feel about this month's campaigns?Are there specific companies you will or will not support because of their Pink-tober campaigns? Are you tired of it? Or does it really mean something to you, that you would be willing to share?

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Replies (91-100):
Phillymama123
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I think its a little too much. But, I found out today that my lump is not a tumor. So this October I'm a little more tolerant
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SWells041585
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Susan G. Komen = CROOKS, I donate DIRECTLY!

tangerine6392
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:25 PM
I agree. Pancreatic cancer runs in my mothers side of the family, and it has a 5% survival rate. Wish there was more awareness about this. But I don't necessarily think its because breasts are sexualized, I just think breast cancer is more common.

Quoting copgirl112:

I'm fine with all of the support about breast cancer. But how come we don't pay attention to all the other cancers? August is National Ovarian Cancer month but no one seems to care. Everyone just cares about breast cancer. Even though there are more deadlier cancers out there. People just partcipate in the month because breasts are oversexualized. Breasts are attractive to most people not like lungs or prostates.

lazyd
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Yea, i noticed yesterday all the pink that the football players were wearing and i thought what a waste that was!  Who is going to wear those shoes, etc after the football players are done with them, so than the organizations spent soo much money on shoes, etc., that will never get worn again, so where are these shoes going to go?!  Will the organizations try to "sell" the shoes to raise money for breast cancer?  Or are all these pink shoes going to get "dumped" in a landfill somewhere!?

jamiebell
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this
The month of May is brain cancer awareness month! And the supporting color is grey.

Quoting copgirl112:

I'm fine with all of the support about breast cancer. But how come we don't pay attention to all the other cancers? August is National Ovarian Cancer month but no one seems to care. Everyone just cares about breast cancer. Even though there are more deadlier cancers out there. People just partcipate in the month because breasts are oversexualized. Breasts are attractive to most people not like lungs or prostates.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamiebell
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Agreed. Do you know how much actually goes to "research". I'm sorry all the money that is raised not only in Oct but year round and we are no closer to cures and so on....I have to believe the pharmaceutical companies will not allow us to come close to any kind of cure. So where is all this money really going?

Quoting SWells041585:

Susan G. Komen = CROOKS, I donate DIRECTLY!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM

If you really do the math, only a few cents from each of most of these products actually go to research.  Between that and the fact that pink is my least favorite color, I don't buy most of these products.  There is one exception.  I will buy one or two pairs of the pink Clean Ones brand dish gloves (which supposedly support Susan G. Komen) when they come out each October.  The reason is, I have a latex allergy, and these are the only dish gloves I've found that are latex-free.  Otherwise, if I want to spend money to support breast cancer research, I'll give my money straight to an organization.

mandy18192
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:50 PM
2 moms liked this
I think they should just have a cancer month.... There's more then just one cancer out there. My dad had leukemia and I don't see leukemia awareness very much
taniamorse85
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here.  I've often tried to ignore all the 'breast cancer awareness' stuff we're bombarded with every day (not just in October).  But, my recent scare (found out my masses were cysts 6 days ago) definitely has me paying a little more attention.

Quoting Phillymama123:

I think its a little too much. But, I found out today that my lump is not a tumor. So this October I'm a little more tolerant

dilateyourmind
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM
3 moms liked this

I think the campaign IS a success. its time to drop it and move on to making people aware of say Lung Cancer. That you don't have to be a smoker to get it. Thyroid cancer. The fasting growing cancer in women. WE KNOW WE KNOW..about breast cancer. NEXT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)