Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

How would you do door-to-door sales?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM
  • 16 Replies

This isn't a discussion about whether you'd do them at all or not but how you'd handle them IF your child did them.

He's 9yo.

Would you go to the door with them, and go inside with them if the need for that comes up?

Make them go to the door alone and insist they DON'T go inside at all?

Stand behind them where you can be seen by the person AT the door, but so your child could give the sales speech alone?

Or just hang back on the sidewalk where you can kind of see them?

What are your thoughts on the best way to handle this?

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:15 PM
I'd go with them and stand back on the side walk. Only stay in my immediate neighborhood and not let them go into any houses except for people that we know well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorena
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Well we have to go door to door for BS and we have to go to EVERY door because certain doors come with prizes. What I do is go to every door with him but hang back so he can do his thing but I'm there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM

The only door-to-door I let my kids do is the Scout fund-raisers (cookies for G.S, popcorn for Cub Scouts, and wreathes for Boy Scouts). I go w/ them, partly to make sure people know they aren't alone, and partly to be an extra set of hands- it's not easy to juggle an order form, an extra page w/ the product list, and a money envelope! We do step inside if invited in, but since we're mostly just selling in our neighborhood, we either know, or at least recognize just about everyone. I do make sure the younger 2 know they can go inside w/ the ones we don't know well only b/c I'm there w/ them.

Barabell
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM

At 9 year old, I would go to the door with him and neither of us would go inside.

Crazy-Steph
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Ours go out in groups.  There are so many kids in the same age group on the block.  There are about 3 girls that go together.  The take turns getting the sales.  They no not to go in anybody's house.  These girls are 11-12.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I have only allowed her to go to ones that I know and semi-know.  I've always felt uncomfortable doing door-to-door growing up but my daughter is better at it.....unfotunately, it's a different time and most people don't want to be bothered and get more angry.

kmrtigger
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Quoting psych_mom:

I'd go with them and stand back on the side walk. Only stay in my immediate neighborhood and not let them go into any houses except for people that we know well.

This is how I handle it too.

SuperLooneyMom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Same here but I don't allow my kids inside no matter what. It's like trick or treating.

Quoting wakymom:

The only door-to-door I let my kids do is the Scout fund-raisers (cookies for G.S, popcorn for Cub Scouts, and wreathes for Boy Scouts). I go w/ them, partly to make sure people know they aren't alone, and partly to be an extra set of hands- it's not easy to juggle an order form, an extra page w/ the product list, and a money envelope! We do step inside if invited in, but since we're mostly just selling in our neighborhood, we either know, or at least recognize just about everyone. I do make sure the younger 2 know they can go inside w/ the ones we don't know well only b/c I'm there w/ them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperLooneyMom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Btw I recommend payment if possible up front. My history of bad luck people not paying made me not want to do it anymore. At least with cookies we have it all there with us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM

IDK, we've never had to do door to door sales for anything.  I highly doubt that I'd let a 9 year old go alone though and we certainly wouldn't be going into anyone's house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN