Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Freaking out about a CT scan

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM
  • 14 Replies

This may seem silly, or maybe not. I had a CT scan in 2009 (everything was fine). Now, I feel great but apparently have a microscopic amount of blood in my urine. So they worry about kidney things and want a CT scan. Asked about MRI, but insurance won't cover as this is not the normal test for this- CT is what they do. Ultrasound doesn't catch much, so not a good option. So anyway, CT it is. But I worry about the radiation, especially that this is my second one.

I think this is one of those things that when it's happening to you, you feel like the only one in the world. And I feel like hearing 'CT radiation has a very small risk of increasing cancer risk slightly' translates to 'this CT will kill you'. That's what I hear in my crazy head. So I'm hoping to gain a little perspective. Has anyone had CT scans? And lived to tell about it! :-)  I'm really freaking myself out, and I just knew some of you will be able to relate and settle me down with your stories- and that you're FINE! Thanks ladies, so much.

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I had 3 CT scans on my abdomen in a 3 year period. I don't have a cervix or uterus thanks to having to have a hysterectomy at 26. About 10 months later my left 0vary had to come out and the best way to view it was via CT scan. After that surgery a year later I started having issues with my right ovary. The only way to see it was via CT scan. After that I had to have a CT scan done on that ovary 2 more times.

I would recommend not having another one after this one for a few more years, because having them as close as I did, is what is dangerous. Your 2 are 4 years apart and that is better. They recommend no more than 2 in a 5 year period.

joshlor2
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM
My son has had 5 ct scans in his life. He is only 11. I couldn't even begin to remember how many I have had.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I have had family member that have had CT scans, but I have not. In both cases, it helped save their lives. So I think typically the low risk associated with them is outweighed by the answers it provides.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Also, good luck on the scan. Please update us when you can.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM

My husband just had one this past August to determine where his kidney stone was hung up.  He said that it wasn't a big deal at all and the doctor didn't hesitate to do it, so I can't imagine that the risk is very great from having one every few years.

cocoroo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:39 AM
I have had a couple, my 14 yo dd had one a few months back, my sisters have had them....we are all fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaEngineer
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:58 AM
I get a CT scan about every 3 years on various body parts (had at least 6 CTs so far) plus annual chest X-rays since I am allergic to the TB scratch test. TB test is required for foster patenting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wyldbutterfly
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:46 AM

In your case I think the benefit outweighs the risks. I would go for that CT.

Jaybo
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:38 AM

I'm late on this, but..

Hon, I've had two CT scans, as well as the most unusal brain/eyes/head scan in a weird looking circular machine that travels around your head as you stand in the middle, plus I've had 6 weeks of radiation treatments wearing the most suffocating face mask ever invented  & I'm still alive & kicking!

I wouldn't fret too much about your scan, many people have had more than 2, & really, if your doc thought there'd be a chance you'd be at risk of getting too much radiation, he or she would have found another alternative.

Jenniy
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:41 AM
My 4yro has had 6 CT Scans, countless xrays, 2 Upper GI's, 3 Swallow Studies, etc. And he's doing good, no cancer. He's his happy little self.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)