Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Freaking out about a CT scan

Posted by   + Show Post

This may seem silly, or maybe not. I had a CT scan in 2009 (everything was fine). Now, I feel great but apparently have a microscopic amount of blood in my urine. So they worry about kidney things and want a CT scan. Asked about MRI, but insurance won't cover as this is not the normal test for this- CT is what they do. Ultrasound doesn't catch much, so not a good option. So anyway, CT it is. But I worry about the radiation, especially that this is my second one.

I think this is one of those things that when it's happening to you, you feel like the only one in the world. And I feel like hearing 'CT radiation has a very small risk of increasing cancer risk slightly' translates to 'this CT will kill you'. That's what I hear in my crazy head. So I'm hoping to gain a little perspective. Has anyone had CT scans? And lived to tell about it! :-)  I'm really freaking myself out, and I just knew some of you will be able to relate and settle me down with your stories- and that you're FINE! Thanks ladies, so much.

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Replies (11-14):
Shelly.xo
Come join the realest group on Cafemom!!
Today at 3:11 PM
Keeping It Real Group - CafeMom

We're all unique, most groups wanna have a common theme... Well ours is BE YOU!!!!

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:53 AM
I've had about 10 CT scans and 4 or 5 MRI's. The information a scan can provide highly outweighs the risk imo. All the scan I've had are of my brain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Quantumnerd
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:04 AM

First off are you pregnant??  Second, I would a get a second opionion, I've had blood in my urine but it was just from a bladder infection, from an undiagnosed Urinary tract infection, they never wanted to do a CT scan for blood in my urine.  I would definately see someone else about this.  I test negative a lot for urinary tract infections when in fact I really do have them, usually it takes the lab growing them out for three days then it's detected.  Good Luck.  And I've had a million CT scans on different parts of my body lol and I'm okay. :)    You also said you had a CT scan in 2009 and your still here. :)

Rogue35
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM
Sorry I haven't had one. I think you will be fine and hugs to you.
wakymom
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Both ds1 and I have had one done and we're perfectly fine. Actually, we're better b/c mine showed I needed some sinus polyps removed and I've had far fewer sinus infections since, and ds1's confirmed he needed his adenoids as well as his tonsils removed and he hasn't had a sinus infection since.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)