Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

I am sure some of you read my last post about the problems I have been having with my soon to be 11yr old son!

Some suggested to make mornings go smoother, they don't have chores! So as I sit here again feeling like crap because I apparently did something wrong to set my son off, I think I will be doing all the morning chores myself!

I quit cooking him breakfast because no matter what he didn't like it and didn't have a problem telling me it was disgusting and scrapping it out! So now he makes himself a bowl of cereal every morning, while I cook for his brother and sister. I wanted him to see what he is missing by me not cooking for him, but he doesn't seem to have a problem eating cereal.

For ones who don't have morning chores, how early do you get them up before they catch the bus? What do they do besides brush teeth and get ready for school? Bed making? Put clothes in hamper? or just nothing but get ready for school?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Replies (11-14):
Tonya_Lynn84
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Well we had chores before school growing up, nothing major!

So getting up, getting ready for school and then out the door?

What do they do when they get home?

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

So maybe I am expecting to much of him, by giving him chores in the morning...

I think so.  Most kids are grumpy until later on when they start to really wake up.  I'd rather have a grumpy-free morning than chores done.

birdandchicks
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

For us it depends on the child.  I have twin dd's that are 11.

One is great about getting up and getting ready.  She put up her PJ's, gets dressed, brush teeth and hair and makes her own breakfast. She even has time to spare to read, feed the fish and snuggle with the dog.

Now my other one has trouble with ADHD. She is ALWAYS dragging the floor and is a total grump. She also has VERY complicated hair that I have to fix every day. I make her breakfast, put up her PJ's and have been known to put on her shoes if we are truely desperate.

Yeah.  It's not ideal but I do what I have to do to get them out the door. I hate arguing with them in the morning.  It sets the day off on a bad note.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

Well we had chores before school growing up, nothing major!

So getting up, getting ready for school and then out the door?

What do they do when they get home?

Quoting M4LG5:

Quoting Tonya_Lynn84:

So maybe I am expecting to much of him, by giving him chores in the morning...

I think so.  Most kids are grumpy until later on when they start to really wake up.  I'd rather have a grumpy-free morning than chores done.

They go to an afterschool program while we work.  They do most, if not all, of their homework there.  2 days a week (sometimes more...depending on the sport), I pick them up and we go to practice or game.  The other days, we get home, we review their homework or they complete it while dinner is cooking.  We have dinner and after dinner they continue to complete their homework then do a chore.  They are responsible for picking up their things and put it away properly (i.e. shoes, backpacks, etc).  Then they each have one of these chores:  put dishes away, clean the table and sweep the floor, and clean the bathroom counter and just make sure it's cleaned up (they rotate weekly).  We don't have them do major things because they are very busy kids....and we are a very busy family.  We have a small house so doing their simple chore and picking up their stuff in the house and their room is extremely helpful. 

On the weekends, we have a bigger "cleaning" day and make a checklist of things to clean....like, really clean!  We all take on the bathroom (including toilets and tub), livingroom, kitchen, etc.....put some Michael Jackson music on...and have at it!  They are really involved and most of the time I have no issues. 

bhow
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Get the heck up, shut up and get out the door!!  I can't stand listening to their b!(h*$# in the morning, puts me over the edge sometimes!  Get dressed, eat, brush, grab and go. If the have to go at it after school I usually don't even notice. Chores are a non issue, I inspect daily and hand out consequences for stuff not being taken care of and they hate consequences, so they keep up with their crap.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN