Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Columbus Day - should we continue to celebrate it? *could be controversial

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 25 Replies

My girls had yesterday off but for an "in-service" day.  Many thought the kids had it off because of Columbus Day.  Intentional?  i'm not sure.  But it brought up the conversation among a few of us.....should we continue to celebrate it?

in my opinion.....NO! 

I like how South Dakota celebrates it as Native American Day.  I really do.  If not that....then maybe something like "Hero's Day" to celebrate all those who we consider heroes or something. 

What do you think?

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brandi185
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:56 AM

i sort of agree with you but only because columbus actually only discovered the carrabbean and thought it was india.  to his dying day he swore he discovered india.  

TempestRayne
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Columbus (that wasn't his real name BTW, look it up) didn't discover America. He never set foot in America. We should celebrate Eurasian travelers day instead. Oh, and evil murdering, pillaging Viking day too.
TempestRayne
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM
By the way...if you are English when you go in to the bathroom, and Italian when you come out, what are you in the middle?
M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Quoting TempestRayne:

Columbus (that wasn't his real name BTW, look it up) didn't discover America. He never set foot in America. We should celebrate Eurasian travelers day instead. Oh, and evil murdering, pillaging Viking day too.

haha!

SuperLooneyMom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree there shouldn't be a cc day. That's for Spain to celebrate.

I also like native American idea, only because they are the indigenous that lived and grew this land before any other. They deserve a day of recognition. Seems like every other ethnicity does. If that doesn't go then no holiday is needed at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM

We had work and school yesterday. It isn't celebrated at all here.

VickyJoJo
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM

We had work and school off.  I did read an article proposing changing the name of it to Exploration Day and dedicating it not just to Columbus but explorers thorughout history.  Frankly, I like the day off but could just as easily be okay with eliminating it entirely.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Quoting TempestRayne:

By the way...if you are English when you go in to the bathroom, and Italian when you come out, what are you in the middle?

European!  sidesplittinglaughterThat is my youngest son's favorite joke.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM

My community didn't celebrate Columbus Day and in all honesty I think that it is one of the silliest holidays of the year.  I'm completely in favor of doing away with it; who do I talk to, or where do I sign to make that happen?

Barabell
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

My community didn't celebrate Columbus Day and in all honesty I think that it is one of the silliest holidays of the year.  I'm completely in favor of doing away with it; who do I talk to, or where do I sign to make that happen?

Where I lived before doesn't celebrate it either. I'm really surprised to see on CM that so many people had yesterday off work or school.

I'd sign the petition too, but I'm surprised that this issue isn't moot by now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)