Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do you think at the tween stage they should shower more often? Do you have a hard time getting them to shower? When my son turned about 12 i noticed he and his room had a "smell" that was suddenly different. I think he noticed it too and was on a cologne kick. He is in college now. I didn't notice it with his older sis but my youngest daughter is 9. I notice her clothes smell funny. When i do laundry everything that comes out of her hamper reeks. It's not a sweaty smell like dh's clothes. It just an unfamiliar odor i didn't notice before. And her bff downright stinks. It's a sickly sweet/sour smell. I had to give our neighbors kids a ride to school the last few weeks since one of their cars was in the shop. I had all these kids between 9 and 14 in my car and it was awful. Funk is all i can say.  I mentioned it to their mom and she said they all shower and wear deodorant but she noticed it too, especially feet and bed sheets.

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Replies (21-26):
MamaEngineer
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM
The hormone changes of adolescence causes tweens and teens to smell more. Once they reach mid-20s the hormones will calm down and they will not stink as bad. My 12 year old showers every other day with reminders or if he has been out swimming or getting sweaty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lazyd
by Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM

i dont have this problem, my kids shower nightly all by themselves and i have never had to tell them to shower.  If they are sweaty they know to shower.  I dont allow my kids to go w/o showering.  Sorry, but i do have that much control over my kids - i know whether they shower or not.  Why would kids not bathe everyday?

VickyJoJo
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM

My daughter showers daily or at worst during the winter every other day.  She does use deodorant daily.  In fact in 5th grade, they show a video in the spring (age appropriate and separated by gender) about the changes in the body and the need for better hygiene.  Still when you walk into the 5th grade classrooms in the spring, it is definitely funky.

Malee1976
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:56 PM

My 10yr. old daughter does sometimes have a smell and she takes a bath everyday. I do have to fight with her about washing her hair.  I really think its an age thing.  Good luck and I hope you have a great day!!!

jj_bmom
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Exactly why when my little brothers, 12 and 9,come to visit I make them shower twice a day ESPECIALLY the 12year old....his feet and pits are just omg smelly and the 9 year old I'm starting to wonder if he, actually both, know how to properly wash themselves. My mom isn't on top of them like I feel she should be. Cleanliness is VERY important to me.
M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM

The twins (6) will shower/bathe every other day most of the time but it does depend on their activities.  My 9 year old will shower every morning.  She does her own hair and has been for awhile.  She has realized that it's much easier to do her hair when it's been washed so it's been a lot easier to get her to take a shower. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)