Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Showering?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM
  • 26 Replies

Do you think at the tween stage they should shower more often? Do you have a hard time getting them to shower? When my son turned about 12 i noticed he and his room had a "smell" that was suddenly different. I think he noticed it too and was on a cologne kick. He is in college now. I didn't notice it with his older sis but my youngest daughter is 9. I notice her clothes smell funny. When i do laundry everything that comes out of her hamper reeks. It's not a sweaty smell like dh's clothes. It just an unfamiliar odor i didn't notice before. And her bff downright stinks. It's a sickly sweet/sour smell. I had to give our neighbors kids a ride to school the last few weeks since one of their cars was in the shop. I had all these kids between 9 and 14 in my car and it was awful. Funk is all i can say.  I mentioned it to their mom and she said they all shower and wear deodorant but she noticed it too, especially feet and bed sheets.

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kerryanneo
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Lol.  I heard this song once that describe teenage boys as having a "goat like" smell.  It is weird to describe.  I don't know what it is but I think it's a real phenomenom : )

Amberrosesmom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Hmm...my DD is 10 and I have not noticed any smells yet.  She does complain about showering daily for some reason and wears deodorant, but that's a battle too.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

A tween should be showering daily, no doubt about it.  They should also be using a deodorant too.  Hygiene is very important at this age and one of the biggest reasons is because your child doesn't want to be the kid who is picked on and remembered for being smelly or dirty.

psych_mom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM
I haven't had any changes in smell I my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
darci16
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Ds just turned 11 and I haven't noticed any different odors, yet. I don't have any problems getting him to the shower either, yet, lol.

kmrtigger
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Its been a bedtime routine for my kids to shower nightly or every other night, depending on the season. During the winter months its every other night due to skin conditions and drying out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:00 AM
My children shower every night. They only smell after soccer and MMA.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandi185
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:28 AM

my 11 year old son smells like bad chicken soup if he doesn't shower.  it's so gross.  oh, and his head gets stinky too.  i can always tell if he hasn't washed his hair.  my 8 year old still gets that little boy wet dog smell to him when he's been playing and sweating.  

my 11 year old showers right after school because he has gym everyday as his second to last class and he opts for deodorant instead of showering.  if he needs to he'll take a quick shower at bedtime.  

Rogue35
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:55 AM
My dd is 9 and she already knows she has to use deoderant. She also showers and I can tell she is more focused on her physical appearance.
bhow
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:58 AM

our 14yr old has showered once a day everyday and sometimes twice for the past 5 years, the 12 yr old has just started not arguing about it (thank goodness!!) she was a pig most of the summer, a few times I wouldn't take her with me and always told her...I'm leaving @ such and such a time...if you want to go be showered and ready.  It worked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN