Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do you think at the tween stage they should shower more often? Do you have a hard time getting them to shower? When my son turned about 12 i noticed he and his room had a "smell" that was suddenly different. I think he noticed it too and was on a cologne kick. He is in college now. I didn't notice it with his older sis but my youngest daughter is 9. I notice her clothes smell funny. When i do laundry everything that comes out of her hamper reeks. It's not a sweaty smell like dh's clothes. It just an unfamiliar odor i didn't notice before. And her bff downright stinks. It's a sickly sweet/sour smell. I had to give our neighbors kids a ride to school the last few weeks since one of their cars was in the shop. I had all these kids between 9 and 14 in my car and it was awful. Funk is all i can say.  I mentioned it to their mom and she said they all shower and wear deodorant but she noticed it too, especially feet and bed sheets.

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
cowboysgirl3227
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM

My daughter showers daily.  She also wears deoderant daily.  She is 10.  She is pretty good about showering but hates washing her hair.  I have never noticed her smelling except her feet, no matter what shoes she wears lately her feet smell terrible :(  She requested the deoderant herself, I never smelled her that way at all but she feels more confident with it. 

wenchmommy381
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I make sure my son showers after sports, and other than that make sure he gets in there every couple days if not every day. He has sensitive skin that dries out easily, so I don't make him shower every day if he hasn't been very active. 

RachaelMommy3
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM

My oldest is 10 and I have not had any issues noticed any odors with her so far. I have no issue getting her to shower though. My younger two are a different story when it comes to showering.

Zamaria
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM
My oldest is 13, and he showers daily in the summer and during football season because he gets sweaty during practice, but in the winter months if he doesn't get sweaty he showers every other day. He has VERY dry skin and it was cracking and peeling, so I took him to the doctor and she said he was just showering too often. I felt horrible. :/ he doesn't give me a hard time about showering. He used to though, till he was about 11. I do still have to remind him sometimes, and when he visits his grandfather on his bio mom's side he never showers. He will be there for a week during the summer and not take a shower the whole time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tableof6
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM

My 9yo DS showers daily but some times does have that oniony smell to his arm pits and I have to remind him to scrub hard under his arms.  I have a 9yo DD also (blended fam) that cares a little more about appearance but her hamper smells like old pee after a few days.  It's weird same age diffent smell.  Oh yeah my other DS 5 still smells like outdoors when he's been playing hard.

nannarose1257
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM

You may want to discuss this with her doctor, I know that sickly sweet breath is a sign of diabetes.

countrymomma81
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

My son takes a bath every night. It's not optional. He's 10 and his arm pits smell horrible. 

mamarj
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:02 PM
My DD is 11 and I am fighting with her to get in the shower. For years baths were an every other night thing but I keep stressing to her that it has to start being an every night thing. I don't notice any smells except The stale smell of her room when she always leaves the door shut. And after volleyball my van smells like a locker room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM

My son is 11, almost 12 and he showers only on the days he worksout and that is if I remind him.  Of course, he is also of the firm belief that deoderant will fix everything.  I did notice a change too and now it's starting to lighten up a bit.

TempestRayne
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 2:03 PM
My kids bathe or shower everyday.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN