Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

If you have a tween boy...

Posted by   + Show Post

...would you let him get his ear pierced if he wanted to?

My 11 year old said he might want to get his ear pierced.  I've told him he has to wait until high school at least.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Replies (11-20):
GotSomeKids
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM
I don't see the big deal. Girls have them, what's the difference? Meanwhile, I don't think my hubby would have the same views.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Yes I would. My husband has his ear pierced. If my tween or teen wanted his ear pierced I would let him.

Barabell
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I probably would, but to be honest, I don't see my son asking any time soon because it's just not his style.

Piercings are not permanent. I would discuss the scar tissue that would be there permanently if he chose to let the hole close and the care involved in maintaining a piercing, and I would not let him pierce his ear(s) if I did not think he was mature enough to handle the care with it.

Babujai
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Quoting Barabell:

I probably would, but to be honest, I don't see my son asking any time soon because it's just not his style.

Piercings are not permanent. I would discuss the scar tissue that would be there permanently if he chose to let the hole close and the care involved in maintaining a piercing, and I would not let him pierce his ear(s) if I did not think he was mature enough to handle the care with it.

That's a big reason why I told him he'd have to wait until high school.  He can barely remember to put on deodorant everyday right now.  He'd definitely let a piercing get infected.

Calling all Naturalistas! Join us in  Natural Hair Love.

Barabell
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Quoting Babujai:

Quoting Barabell:

That's a big reason why I told him he'd have to wait until high school.  He can barely remember to put on deodorant everyday right now.  He'd definitely let a piercing get infected.

That is a great reason to have him wait. You could use it as a reward if he started taking initiative in his hygiene routine.

coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM
I've told him he can when he's !6 or !7. He's 12. DH is very against guys with earrings so DS can get it when he'ss on his own. So far DS doesn't seem to want one, he just wants to know when he can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
capfelbeck
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:03 PM
We r still discussing it

Quoting Babujai:

And?  Have you just said no or are you giving him an age when he can?

Quoting capfelbeck:

My 6 yo wants his done o.O

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyto3bees
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM
No
MamaEngineer
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM
If hygiene is an issue, have him talk to a nurse or doctor about what could happen if it got infected.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TwinSoccerMom
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Yes.  I don't think it is any big deal.  My DH had one when we met.  He hasn't worn it in years but I didn't mind it and wouldn't mind if our son had one...or two.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN