Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Reading in class...

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM
  • 34 Replies

Would you say something to the teacher or just let this go?

One of my girls got in trouble for reading during math class.  The teacher took 5 points away from her behavior chart which means that she will not get to participate in Fun Friday that's this Friday.

This is a BIG deal to her.  She already lost points for not putting up her chair and being late on a couple of assignments.  (she completed them but didn't turn them in)

Even though I'm sad for her I think it's fair that the teacher took points away. We've had problems in the past with her reading in class instead of paying attention.

What I have a problem with is that the teacher also took the book away for 2 days. It's our book not a book that belongs to the school.

My husband said we shouldn't e-mail the teacher about giving the book back but I disagree. Getting the points taken away is punishment enough.

This is probably terrible also but the mama bear in me wants to have our own Fun Friday at home after school. This is my adhd child.  I know she must learn these lessons but she has a hard time in school. I just want to make everything better. 

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM
If the teacher will be giving the book back in 2 days I don't see the point in making it into a big deal. The teacher probably takes up anything that she catches a child playing with or using as a distraction. My kids have lost things for the rest of the school year. I'd make her wait the two days to get the book back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GotSomeKids
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I don't think it is a big deal.  It's great that she loves to read, but it wasn't reading time.  My son had this problem last year.  He eventually grew out of it with the tiniest of prodding from us and the teacher.  What the teacher did in your daughters case seems reasonable.

Barabell
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I agree that this needs to be a teachable moment for not paying attention in class. She'll get the book back in two days, and so I personally wouldn't say anything. If she doesn't get it back at the end of the two days, then I would email the teacher requesting it back. I wouldn't do an at-home reward either. If she wants the reward, then hopefully this will help her try harder to get that reward.

Lorena
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:53 PM
I think the teacher should have given the book back at the end of the day. This happend to my adhd son and now he wont even pick up a book. It traumatized him and it was so hard to get him to read in the first place. I do agree that she should not be able to participate in the fun Friday and a lesson. Do not have one at home it will undermind the lesson.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyto3bees
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM
I'd be mad because she was just reading ..that's sillly
psych_mom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM
2 moms liked this
If she isn't paying attention to what is being taught in math class and is reading instead, how is she going to learn math?

Quoting mommyto3bees:

I'd be mad because she was just reading ..that's sillly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyto3bees
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Quoting psych_mom:

Guess your right, but couldn't thy just say please book the book down ,not take away points or not let her do the fun Friday??

But ,I agree with some of the other ladies ,they should return the book at the end of the day
psych_mom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

If this is an ongoing issue I can understand the teacher taking the book. She may feel that this will get her attention enough that she will not continue to read during instruction time.

Quoting mommyto3bees:

Quoting psych_mom:

Guess your right, but couldn't thy just say please book the book down ,not take away points or not let her do the fun Friday??

But ,I agree with some of the other ladies ,they should return the book at the end of the day

mommyto3bees
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Quoting psych_mom:

Right,it very well could work..I just hate to see kids left out on things their excited about...
psych_mom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I agree, but sometimes it takes that to get the point through to them.

Quoting mommyto3bees:

Quoting psych_mom:

Right,it very well could work..I just hate to see kids left out on things their excited about...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)