Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Does Anyone Work/Volunteer in Their Kids School--Need Advice

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:01 AM
  • 5 Replies

I work extensively in the kids school(s).  Currently, I am working on a school wide art competition.  This makes me the Reflections Chair which is tied in to the PTSA group that sponsors the program.

The PTSA President decided "committee chairs" were part of the board. Now that the chairs are part of the board, we now get all their "email traffic". I manage to sift through it.  It's EVERYBODY'S issues, comments, etc. etc. etc.  Those are executive board issues.  But, when asked a question, we are suppose to respond.  I got about 10 of those emails today. 

Anyhow, this evening an email was sent elliciting a response about a letter that is going out to the teachers and asked if we had any input.  I read through it and everything is wrong with it.  While the gist of the letter is there, there is almost no formatting, grammatics are just about non-existence, save a period and so much more.  This letter is going out to 35 teachers, principal and additional staff.

Honestly, if I were a teacher, I probably would not respond to this letter.  But, if I were to tell this person how I really feel, I would really just re-write the entire thing and format it correctly.

The last time someone on the board asked me to edit their work, she got mad, actually made the corrections, but said she "accidentally sent out the wrong version of the letter" and sent out the edited version.  Not the same person though.  But, they are very close friends.

Now, if that all wasn't bad enough, there is this weird rule that all responses are suppose to be CC'd to the entire board.  It's one thing trying to make a decision whether or not to tell someone, hopefully with some tact that the letter really should be completely re-written, but to CC that to the entire board.  That gives me a lot of reservation.

Should I just not make recommendations?  Should I make recommendations and claim stupid on the CC thing?  Should I not make recommendation because she may not take it well?

Mind you, none of this is personal for me.  I look at such requests from an education standpoint and business writing courses.  Making things flow, making things parallel, punctuation, formatting, what works best for your audience.

Thoughts?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
love-my-tween
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM

In my opinion, you are in a catch-22 situation.  If you submit a corrected version, then the original writer takes offense.  If you don't submit, then everyone cc'd wonders why nobody noticed the errors.  I would personally submit a corrected version and cc those necessary.  Show them you know your stuff!  lol

GotSomeKids
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I was checking emails before bed and someone told her it looked great.  She actually sent another version and it still needs work.

I'm going to sleep on this one.  Perhaps in the morning I'll know what to do or not to do.

psych_mom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I'd have to correct it. There's no way I could let it go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I would have to correct it as well.  IMO, it is silly to send something like that out to every member of the board to proof read prior to sending it out.  I am the current President of our PTA and I send any of my letters to two of our board members who are good with grammar to proof read for me.  No need to include everyone in something as mundane as proof reading.

GotSomeKids
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:13 AM

For whatever reason, the PTSA president thinks for better transparency, anything done in the name of our PTSA must be CC's to the entire board.  Makes me insane, because there is actually some things I don't think I should be seeing.

But, the next morning she went ahead and sent it out.  I had gotten so busy I never even got the chance to respond.  So, I guess I don't have to worry about it.

No need for EVERYBODY to see it.  When I work on school programs, I have my hubby proof it and then I ask the principal to take a look at it too.  I'm glad we know each other well enough (been at this school for 5 years) that he's glad to do it for me.  He has to approve anything going out of the school anyway.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I would have to correct it as well.  IMO, it is silly to send something like that out to every member of the board to proof read prior to sending it out.  I am the current President of our PTA and I send any of my letters to two of our board members who are good with grammar to proof read for me.  No need to include everyone in something as mundane as proof reading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN