Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

I'm not ready... :( **ETA!!!**

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:12 AM
  • 7 Replies

DS1 is 9.  He's special needs (PDD-NOS) so he's always been pretty immature for his age.  I was tucking him in tonight, and realized he has course hair on his legs - a sign that the rest of the joys of puberty are not that far off.

I am so, so not ready.  TBH, sometimes I think I like that he's got the mentality of a 6-7y/o, because I am really really not ready for him to grow up... and here we are, at puberty's door. 

Any advice?  Hugs?  Somethin?  LOL. 

***ETA***  Sorry ladies, I am a night owl.  I realize that it's not the absolute "beginning" of puberty.  This child has never had any body hair (his father has very little), and it just suprised me.  It's not just puberty I'm afraid of (dreading?) - it's just things like this that scream "MOM!  I'm growing up and there's nothing you can do about it!!"  You know?  And body odor... yeah, he's workin on that.  Goodness... lol. 

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MunchiesMom324
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Oh, and yeah - my avi?  That's him, many many years ago :(

psych_mom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:19 AM
My son has coarse hair on his legs and his doctor said it could still be a couple of years before he hit puberty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Course hair on their legs isn't one of the first signs of puberty.  Pubic hair and/or underarm hair generally are the first signs, along with a very strong body odor that you can smell from 3-4 feet away.

psych_mom
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM

My doctor just said some kids are hairier than others. My 9 year old is a lot hairier than my 11 year old and my 11 year old has hit puberty. My poor 9 year old is going to be one hairy man, but I tell him that there are women out there that love hairy men and not to worry about it.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Course hair on their legs isn't one of the first signs of puberty.  Pubic hair and/or underarm hair generally are the first signs, along with a very strong body odor that you can smell from 3-4 feet away.

steelcrazy
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I am one of those ladies.  I love bald men, as most of you know, but I prefer them to have a hairy chest.  Not a fan of all the hairless young boys that look like little boys.

My 9 year old has the hairest legs that I've ever seen on a child and he's been like that for as long as I can remember. 

Quoting psych_mom:

My doctor just said some kids are hairier than others. My 9 year old is a lot hairier than my 11 year old and my 11 year old has hit puberty. My poor 9 year old is going to be one hairy man, but I tell him that there are women out there that love hairy men and not to worry about it.

Quoting steelcrazy:

wenchmommy381
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM

My son has always been on the fuzzy side, and his leg hair has gotten a bit more noticeable, but I wouldn't worry about puberty hitting like a ton of bricks just yet. 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM

As a mom of 3 boys I have to agree with this. My 11 yr is just now hitting puberty. And he had course hair on his legs at the age of 7 yrs old. And my 10 yr old is a hairy child. And the soon to be 9 yr old has hairy legs now too.  I fear the day all three are teenagers.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Elementary School Kids

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)