Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Would You Ever Go On Strike?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM
  • 11 Replies

Mom Goes On Strike & House Becomes a Wreck: So Who Learned What? (PHOTO)

Posted by Ericka Sóuter

stikingmomWhen I heard about the latest mom on strike in protest of her lazy kids, I thought, "Here we go again."

Yet another tired, over-worked, under-appreciated mother who is trying to teach her kids a lesson. You see, like so many of us, Jessica Stilwell was tired of picking up after her daughters. Dirty dishes, smelly laundry, toys, books, and every other mess that come with having kids. When she halted all housework, her kids finally noticed something was up -- after several days. She wrote about the "walk-out" on her blog Striking Mom and her children's reactions were priceless.

Like most kids, they didn't bother with their assigned chores because if they didn't do it, mom would take care of it, of course. Well, Stilwell, a social worker, was fed up with dealing with messes that weren't hers. She continued to cook and make their lunches, but if they didn't clean out their lunch packs, they got the meal in a plastic bag the next day.

When one of the girls sat down for dinner and saw a bowl full of soggy cereal in her spot (remnants of her breakfast), she knew something was up. She whined, "'EWWWWW, what is THAT??' As she pushed the bowl towards me, I simply said, 'Why that looks like your breakfast my love' and I walked away,'" Stilwell wrote. The house got messier, dishes piled up, but still her children didn't lift a finger until day six. Apparently the girls were so disgusted, they couldn't take it anymore. Her kids weren't the only ones suffering through the nastiness. I am sure Stilwell and her husband were at their limit too.  stikingmom

Her struggle is one many -- if not most -- parents can relate to. Kids hate chores. Kids will do anything they can to get out of chores. And -- as the Stilwell dilemma demonstrates -- they will live in filth instead of wash a dish. Sadly, I don't think that a strike is really going to change that. I applaud her for trying though. Parents have employed everything from bribery to threats to get their child to take out the trash.

I would bet her girls will stick to their to-do list for a month or so, but soon they will probably lapse back into their old, lazy ways. And what will mom do? Start picking up after them again. It's inevitable. Kids just don't get it until they have kids of their own. So take stock in the fact that they will one day be just as annoyed and frustrated as you.

Would you ever strike?

How do you get your kids to do their chores?

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 11, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Here is what I want to know from this family..........were they allowed to continue their lives as normal (i.e. TV, video games, friends houses, play outside, etc)?  If so, yeah....nothing is going to change.

wenchmommy381
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

My kids are too young for me to go on strike like this, but the kids in this situation were old enough to know better. My boys already have to pick up after themselves a little bit. 

I actually think the kids learned their lesson, because they saw that they were the ones making the mess. I bet the parents washed their own dishes and did their own laundry. 

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I have tried not picking up after them or washing dishes, or even making the meals. Hubby stepped up and did the cooking. But that was it. Nothing more was done. He bought paper plates and plastic ware. It was horrible. And lasted about a week before I couldn't stand it.

I finally had to sit them all done and explain that we are a FAMILY and we had to work together in order for our house to be a home. We made a chore chart, and a cleaning schedule. And  a list of rules, with consequences for each rule broken. And hung them on the fridge. It finally clicked in them. And we all pitching in to make the house a home we love.

cocoroo
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:49 PM
I have thought about going on strike, but the house getting that messy would drive me nuts. My house is a little messy now and I hate it. I need to clean. My kids are pretty good about picking up after themselves, they rinse their dishes and put them in the dishwasher, they pack their own lunches, they put their dirty clothes in the hamper, they make their beds everyday before school, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I don't think i would go on strike BUT guess who is hearing "NO" when they want something?????

Barabell
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Well....I'm a union worker, and so the title of the post made me think of a strike from my job. I hope it never comes down to that!!

From housework, it's a moot question. We all pitch in to get housework done. I think my son is willing to help out because we made it an expectation since he was a toddler. I don't think he thinks isn't something he can object to doing...LOL

Barabell
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I'd be pissed. :(

Quoting kmrtigger:

I have tried not picking up after them or washing dishes, or even making the meals. Hubby stepped up and did the cooking. But that was it. Nothing more was done. He bought paper plates and plastic ware. It was horrible. And lasted about a week before I couldn't stand it.

I finally had to sit them all done and explain that we are a FAMILY and we had to work together in order for our house to be a home. We made a chore chart, and a cleaning schedule. And  a list of rules, with consequences for each rule broken. And hung them on the fridge. It finally clicked in them. And we all pitching in to make the house a home we love.

countrymomma81
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM

No. Because I am the only one who would suffer in the end when I had to clean it all back up. 

I understand that as the mom the majority of the house work is my "job". I also understand that this may or may not be the case in everyone's life but it's what works for mine. 

GotSomeKids
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I went on strike about five years ago.  Yeah, just made a bigger mess for me to clean up, since no one even realized I was on strike.  That's when I then implemented at least monthly family meetings.

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:13 AM

Nope, I'd  rather make their lives more unpleasant till they obey. You know discipline and punishment for not listening and obeying.

Oh you want to go to that birthday party on Saturday? I guess you better make sure your bedrom is clean. Videogames? I still see your toys on the floor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)