Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Now-a-days, how much freedom do you let your preteen have?

Posted by   + Show Post
I don't know if in your guys' areas this is a big deal but lately there has been several attempted abductions in my state and surrounding states. For awhile I was not letting DD do anything like she used to (go to bike rides around the block, walk to the park, walk alone to a friends house, etc,) and she was OK with it because of something that happened fairly close to out neck of the woods. But the kids around here are slowly getting back to their normal play routine (cautiously) and meeting outside to play again. So DD and a couple other kids wanted to walk to a park close by and for the first time in months I okayed for her to go, along with a lecture and her cell phone. But before they even made it there I see her and her friend arguing in the driveway and DD comes stomping back in the house. Evidently her friend had called a boy that DD didn't know to meet them at the park. The boy was their age and I'm sure harmless but I was very happy for DD for standing her ground and not doing something that made her uncomfortable. I was happy that she said no despite the fact it risked a friendship. I've always taught her that a GOOD friend would not make you do anything you didn't want to do.

I do hate that I have to keep my child so close when she is at that age to have some freedom and explore. When I was her age I rode my bike all over town. But I am glad that she understands why I give her boundaries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (11-11):
jclovinlife
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 12:01 AM
My kids have no freedom. I take them to and from school and friends houses. They can play in the backyard if I'm awake and the door is open. They can't play in the front yard without me, not even when neighbor kids are out. I take them to restrooms and stand outside of the boys room, sometimes I make my son wait till the boys room is empty before I let him in.

I live in CO just a few miles from where Jessica Ridgeway's body was found. My rules are even stricter now. It's a sad scary world we live in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)