Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do parents of tweens believe

Posted by   + Show Post

that their kids don't know what sex is? I am shocked that parents believe this, especially when their child goes to school, because believe me they do know and they know a lot of misinformation that they hear from other kids. So please don't think they don't know what it is and don't put off talking to them until it is too late. Talk to them, communicate with them and have an ongoing conversation. They need you, not the junk their friends think they know.

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Replies (101-104):
Oceana09
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Oh yes...what was worse was when I came out of the bathroom with a tampon and a pad in my hand saying "Um...mom how do these work?" Needless to say she never told me how the tampons worked. Instead she told me how to put the pad in my underwear and left it at that. I had to figure out what the tampon was for all on my own. My mother was great at alot of things. Obviously, talking about sexual or reproductive things, was not one of them.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting Oceana09:

My  parents never talked about sex with me. I was never allowed to watch movies where sex was involved, nor was I allowed to go anywhere. That was how they made sure I never "saw" it.  I was never "taught" what it was until the 9th grade and honestly I didn't understand it until "it" happened when I was 18 years old. Kinda like how my mom never taught me what a period was. I just "knew" from what we had learned in health class, but my mom never once mentioned it until the day I went to her and said "mom, I don't feel good and I think I keep crapping myself, but I don't feel anything coming out my butt." Her reply..."oh, you must have started your period. Pads and tampons are under the sink."

Oh no!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
kitcal78
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:11 PM
Omg my sister and I had the sex talk with my niece when she turned 14. I broke it down from masturbation, oral sex, homosexual friends, experimentation, etc. I told her point blank to hold onto her virginity. Let no one talk her into doing anything she did not want. No means no. Even researched slang names for stuff to make sure she knew what people were talking about. She will be a senior next year I'm going to have the college talk since I wad the only one to leave home for school. It's never too early or too late. Just make it age appropriate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

I have 3 boys. Ages 11, 10 and soon to be 9 years old.

We sorta came upon the topic when my oldest son asked why his penis was hard when he woke up in the mornings. At the breakfast table. And then that talk lead to touching. And his dad decided it was time to talk about masturbation with them. He explained what it was, and where it was acceptable to do so in the house. And he explained how it was NOT okay to let someone else do that to you, etc. And that then lead to talking about sex again. And proper use of protection, again. And where they could find condoms if they ever decided to become sexually active.

Quoting toomanygone1130:

How old are your kids, what genders are they, and how on earth did you go about talking about masturbation with them?

Not that I'm trying to say masturbation is wrong. I work for a sex toy company. And in my eyes masturbation is natural and healthy (on and after a certain age of course). But how on earth did you have THAT conversation with your kids. I'm just curious, mostly of the content of that conversation.

Quoting kmrtigger:

Believe me, mine know all about sex, babies, masturbation, etc. It's something we have ALWAYS talked about. When a question was asked we answered age appropriately, and talked about it more. It's not a ONE TIME talk. It's a series of conversations that never really end.

neptunekitty
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM
My bfs oldest is 8 and I can't convince him to tell his son anything, he doesn't think there's a need until he's closer to 10 or 11, but I know his son has questions and wants to talk, but he's scared to ask, I know he knows more than his daddy thinks he does.. It's just frustrating because they aren't my bio kids so I have no say.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)