Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do parents of tweens believe

Posted by   + Show Post

that their kids don't know what sex is? I am shocked that parents believe this, especially when their child goes to school, because believe me they do know and they know a lot of misinformation that they hear from other kids. So please don't think they don't know what it is and don't put off talking to them until it is too late. Talk to them, communicate with them and have an ongoing conversation. They need you, not the junk their friends think they know.

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Replies (11-20):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM
So, how did you explain how sperm got in the woman's body?

Quoting Lorena:

My 14, 13, 12 & 10 yr olds know about sex and everything that goes with it. We have been very open an honest with them when ever they had a question. My problem is with the youngest 3 the oldest being 9 ask me questions but I don't know how to answer because they are my step kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorena
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM
I just told them that when a mommy and daddy love each other they show there love though sex. That is where the daddy put his penis in mommys vagina. That daddys have sperm and that how it gets in mommy so a baby can be made. Now that they have claases at school they have learned more of the machanics of it. So now it is more fact checking then straight out questions.

Quoting M4LG5:

So, how did you explain how sperm got in the woman's body?

Quoting Lorena:

My 14, 13, 12 & 10 yr olds know about sex and everything that goes with it. We have been very open an honest with them when ever they had a question. My problem is with the youngest 3 the oldest being 9 ask me questions but I don't know how to answer because they are my step kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM
But you aren't fooling yourself and saying they don't know about sex. Every aren't hasa right to decide for themselves when to talk to their children, but I am shocked when parents truly believe their children know nothing at all about it just because the parent hasn't talked to them.

Quoting SuperLooneyMom:

I know my boys have an idea but I and my dh will deal with it when we think it is best. No I'm not surprised if my kids know but do believe they aren't educated on sex a's other kids. And I am super ok with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM
We talked a little before and after that class. It did help a lot.

Quoting catngabsmom:

I am sure mine know more than I think, but I am willing to let it slide for a few months before I get into any big conversations. My oldest will be having the 5th grade health talk towards the end of the school year, I am sure that will trigger many conversations with her and my younger dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
psych_mom
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with it being an ongoing or series of conversations.

Quoting kmrtigger:

Believe me, mine know all about sex, babies, masturbation, etc. It's something we have ALWAYS talked about. When a question was asked we answered age appropriately, and talked about it more. It's not a ONE TIME talk. It's a series of conversations that never really end.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LostTheSlipper
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Dh thinks it's too soon. DS is nine. I bought the next book for DS (in the learn about sex series or whatever) and he found it and asked if he could read it. I told him to ask DH if it was okay, and DH said, "if you tell us what you read" (gosh he's such a pain in the butt), so DS read a bit of it (not sure how far he got) and then  I don't know if he got freaked out by what was in there or if DH's comment turned him off (DS really said there were too many words, but he loves to read so I don't think that was it.) so I don't know.

I'm looking into other books that maybe I can slip into DS's bookcase and since we homeschool and thinking maybe I'll just plan a "sex ed" type unit a bit later in the year with that "miracle of life" video and a talk whether DH agrees or not. I tried explaining to him DS will hear it from other kids if we don't tell him, but yeah, DH has his own ideas I guess. *Sigh*

I don't think my parents ever talked to me. I got whatever education I got from the school (minus some pamphlets on periods and female anatomy my mom slipped to me when I was 8) and don't think I knew about sex till I was like 12 or 13 or so, so I don't know how to fully handle it.

catngabsmom
by Erica on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:31 AM
We have had ongoing discussions about many things over the years, more so in the past two as puberty and body changes have been happening. They have both asked a few questions lately that I have kind of glossed over or ignored. The most recent being "what is a condom". I wasn't sure at that exact moment what I was going to say, so I pretended not to hear her. I know answering would have led to questions I was not prepared to answer yet. I have thought a lot in the past few days about how to answer, what information I am prepared to give, and how to keep it age appropriate since it was my 9 year old that asked it. Right now I am more worried about talking about drugs to my kids! I think I will start a separate post about that.

Quoting psych_mom:

We talked a little before and after that class. It did help a lot.

Quoting catngabsmom:

I am sure mine know more than I think, but I am willing to let it slide for a few months before I get into any big conversations. My oldest will be having the 5th grade health talk towards the end of the school year, I am sure that will trigger many conversations with her and my younger dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
somuchlove4U
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:58 AM
My daughter knows because I talk to her about it. I didn't want her learning from her peers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:59 AM

We've had talks with my son over the years. He feels more comfortable talking to my husband about it, but at least he's had multiple talks with an adult that is informed.

I know my son brought home some sexual jokes in 2nd grade not understanding what they were, except that they were dirty. It happens, especially when they have friends with older siblings. He started having talks then.

I know that I knew what it was when I was a tween, and I remember other kids talking about it too at that age. It would be silly to think that my son didn't have the same exposures in the tween years.

mjande4
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:04 AM

My kids were given "the talk" early, but they already knew things from their peers.  I just made sure the information was accurate.  The other post was really an eye opener.  I still can't believe, in this day and age, that there are moms out there that actually believe 1) their child tells them EVERYTHING and 2) their TEEN doesn't know anything AND goes to school.  SMH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN