Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do parents of tweens believe

Posted by   + Show Post

that their kids don't know what sex is? I am shocked that parents believe this, especially when their child goes to school, because believe me they do know and they know a lot of misinformation that they hear from other kids. So please don't think they don't know what it is and don't put off talking to them until it is too late. Talk to them, communicate with them and have an ongoing conversation. They need you, not the junk their friends think they know.

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Replies (21-30):
ChrissyL90
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Mine are 15, 13 and 10 and since they were little we've discussed body parts, reproduction etc on an age appropriate basis.  TV shows and advertisments are good prompts to open up the conversation.  Both my 13 and 15 year olds know about bc, condoms, sti's, and the physical and emotional aspects of sex and relationships.  I've never told them that sex is bad but I have told them it's something special that should be shared with someone they deeply cared about.  My 15 year old became active this summer with her bf who she's been with for a year, and she was open enough to come to me about it and we still have ongoing discussions.   My 13 year old isn't interested in boys, yet. 

JanuaryBaby06
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM

yeah believe it or not i didnt know what sex is until i was 13 and then i still didnt get the logistics of it until much later. i blame catholic school (no sex ed)-lol.

psych_mom
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM

In public school kids know and talk- they talk a lot. When I went to talk to my son, he already knew more than I thought he did. He was 10.

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

yeah believe it or not i didnt know what sex is until i was 13 and then i still didnt get the logistics of it until much later. i blame catholic school (no sex ed)-lol.

JanuaryBaby06
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM

my son is almost 7 and the other day i asked him what sex is and hes like its when 2 people get in love with eachother, become boyfriend aND GIRLFRIEND, GET MARRIED AND GOT PREGNANT-LOL.way too cute!

psych_mom
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Mine know things too. I am just floored by the naivety of some parents. If your kid is around other kids, they hear things, they are told things and they know things. The question is, do you want them to know what other kids tell them that don't know what they are talking about, or do you want to give them the correct info? I guess some parent prefer to pretend their kids are innocent until it is too late.

Quoting mjande4:

My kids were given "the talk" early, but they already knew things from their peers.  I just made sure the information was accurate.  The other post was really an eye opener.  I still can't believe, in this day and age, that there are moms out there that actually believe 1) their child tells them EVERYTHING and 2) their TEEN doesn't know anything AND goes to school.  SMH

AleaKat
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Yea in my family if there was an unpleasant feeling we ignored it and if it was awkward we avoided it. Unfortunately I learned sex from TV and movies and eventually health class a little bit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Queen_Sheila
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:59 AM

It makes them uncomfortable because they're prudes. I for one am going to talk to my kids about sex before they go to school because, like you said, I don't want them to get misinformation. I want to teach my children about sex the way I believe it should be done, it's something that's natural between two adults (hopefully they wait that long) and it's nothing to be ashamed of. My mother made me afraid to talk about sex, I even thought it was wrong to have oral sex!

Quoting psych_mom:

that their kids don't know what sex is? I am shocked that parents believe this, especially when their child goes to school, because believe me they do know and they know a lot of misinformation that they hear from other kids. So please don't think they don't know what it is and don't put off talking to them until it is too late. Talk to them, communicate with them and have an ongoing conversation. They need you, not the junk their friends think they know.

CafeMom Tickers

psych_mom
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I learned in my abnormal psych class that there are a lot of people that are taught that sexual acts, even between husband and wife, are wrong. Some people even have to go to therapy to overcome what their parents tell them or their shame of sex because parents refuse to talk to them about it as tweens or teens.

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

It makes them uncomfortable because they're prudes. I for one am going to talk to my kids about sex before they go to school because, like you said, I don't want them to get misinformation. I want to teach my children about sex the way I believe it should be done, it's something that's natural between two adults (hopefully they wait that long) and it's nothing to be ashamed of. My mother made me afraid to talk about sex, I even thought it was wrong to have oral sex!

Quoting psych_mom:

mjande4
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM

They talk in EVERY kind of school; public, private, and charter.

Quoting psych_mom:

In public school kids know and talk- they talk a lot. When I went to talk to my son, he already knew more than I thought he did. He was 10.

Quoting JanuaryBaby06:

Queen_Sheila
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:25 PM

That's horrible! And people wonder why there are so many sexual deviates in this country, it's the forbidden fruit syndrome, it goes against nature not to have sex; that's why those priests turned into child molesters.

Quoting psych_mom:

I learned in my abnormal psych class that there are a lot of people that are taught that sexual acts, even between husband and wife, are wrong. Some people even have to go to therapy to overcome what their parents tell them or their shame of sex because parents refuse to talk to them about it as tweens or teens.

Quoting Queen_Sheila:

Quoting psych_mom:

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)