Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do parents of tweens believe

Posted by   + Show Post

that their kids don't know what sex is? I am shocked that parents believe this, especially when their child goes to school, because believe me they do know and they know a lot of misinformation that they hear from other kids. So please don't think they don't know what it is and don't put off talking to them until it is too late. Talk to them, communicate with them and have an ongoing conversation. They need you, not the junk their friends think they know.

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Replies (31-40):
Gweneveer
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM

So at what age do you think is a good age to start talking about this op?

I only ask because I have a 5 yr old in full day kindergarten, and I have a feeling the questions will be coming sooner rather than later.  

Whats the average age kids start talking to each other and finding out about it?  

elisesmom922
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:06 PM

My daughter is 8 almost 9,and knows about sex, her period, and all that goes with these things. She also knows about rape. As someone who was abused as a kid, I never want my girls to be in that place as I was. I want her to be confident in saying NO, this is MY body, you can't touch it and not be scared as some are of her period and how her body  will change. This is an on-going convo though, that will change as they get older.

MumaSue
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:06 PM

We had our school sex talk @ 12 years of age. Everyone, even the shy ones knew what, where, when and how. Tweens and teens know the science [to a certain point] but some have no clue about the responsibility and respect that sex deserves. The age old "but I only did it once mom" just makes me roll my eyes. They know the science, once is all it takes, but there is no respect or responsibility for that fact.

Yes I will be teaching my child about sex before they do at school and along with the facts I will teach her to be responsible and how to respect herself, her body and those around her.

jonnlilithsmom
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:08 PM

it totally blows me away that people think their tweens, who are in school, have no idea what sex is... how can a normal, healthy 10-12 year old not have any clue what sex is unless their parents are deliberately keeping information from them, and refusing to answer questions honestly when they come up?

my four year old knows there is a physical difference between between boys and girls... she knows that mommies grow babies in their bellies, and that it takes a mommy and a daddy to make a baby... she also knows that mommies have periods that relate to making babies, but she doesn't yet understand why or how.

As she grows, she asks questions, and I answer them honestly, with facts which are only "watered down" by using language she can understand... it's hard sometimes, to answer her questions, but never because of modesty or embarrassment, rather, it's hard because she's bright, and quick, and incredibly curious, but her language skills are those of a typical 4 year old.

personally, I feel that neglecting your child's sex education is child abuse

psych_mom
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM
You would be amazed at how young they hear things. I remember being in 1st grade and hearing other kids talk about sex. At that age I talked to my kids more about people touching them inappropriately. As they get a little older we keep it age appropriate. My 8 year old has known since she was 5 how babies are made because she asked when she had a baby sister.

Quoting Gweneveer:

So at what age do you think is a good age to start talking about this op?

I only ask because I have a 5 yr old in full day kindergarten, and I have a feeling the questions will be coming sooner rather than later.  

Whats the average age kids start talking to each other and finding out about it?  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marie2409
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM
My girls are 13 and 16. I am not sure we have ever really had "the talk" as in a long drawn out session. We talk about things frequently, always have, from when they were very very young. We just talk as things come up. I have always tried to use "teachable moments" and feed them info little by little, opening those lines of communication, and keeping them open.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:31 PM

clapping

motherslove82
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I have talked to my 11 and 9 year old daughters about sex. My son is 7 and has never asked a single question (even though the girls both had a basic knowledge at that age). He just has no interest. I'm thinking that I am going to have to approach the subject with him on my own before too long if he doesn't ask. I go by the belief that if they are old enough to ask, they are old enough to know. I never put them off with "easy answers" or half truths. I would rather they hear the truth from me and not from some other kid on the playground.

psych_mom
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM

My nine year old is that way and I know that he knows how babies are made. We were at the zoo and two turtles (huge turtles, lol) started mating and he yells it out and goes on and on about how they're going to have babies, haha. Proud parent moment. With him, I handle these things differently than I do my 11 year old because he is an all facts kind of kid and he doesn't want any fluff or beating around the bush. Just say it and move on, lol. My older one, get embarrased easily so it was more of picking and choosing the right words to use so that it wasn't so uncomfortable for him. It's amazing how kids can be raised in the same house and all be so different.

Quoting motherslove82:

I have talked to my 11 and 9 year old daughters about sex. My son is 7 and has never asked a single question (even though the girls both had a basic knowledge at that age). He just has no interest. I'm thinking that I am going to have to approach the subject with him on my own before too long if he doesn't ask. I go by the belief that if they are old enough to ask, they are old enough to know. I never put them off with "easy answers" or half truths. I would rather they hear the truth from me and not from some other kid on the playground.

motherslove82
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I know. It amazes me how different my kids are. He has picked up some things along the way. I was buying tampons a couple of weeks ago. He was SO embarrassed to be on the tampon aisle. He kept saying "Mom, this aisle is for GIRLS! Can we go?". It was funny because while we were standing there, a woman approached the aisle with her boyfriend/husband. My 11 year old said "see Reece. If he can handle it, so can you". At that point the couple reached the spot where we were standing on the aisle. The woman stopped to look. The man kept walking, turned at the end of the aisle and disappeared, lol. My son said "See!" and then turned in the direction that the man had gone and said "Take me with you!" lol. He's a nut and the woman was cracking up, too.

Quoting psych_mom:

My nine year old is that way and I know that he knows how babies are made. We were at the zoo and two turtles (huge turtles, lol) started mating and he yells it out and goes on and on about how they're going to have babies, haha. Proud parent moment. With him, I handle these things differently than I do my 11 year old because he is an all facts kind of kid and he doesn't want any fluff or beating around the bush. Just say it and move on, lol. My older one, get embarrased easily so it was more of picking and choosing the right words to use so that it wasn't so uncomfortable for him. It's amazing how kids can be raised in the same house and all be so different.

Quoting motherslove82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)