Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Do parents of tweens believe

Posted by   + Show Post

that their kids don't know what sex is? I am shocked that parents believe this, especially when their child goes to school, because believe me they do know and they know a lot of misinformation that they hear from other kids. So please don't think they don't know what it is and don't put off talking to them until it is too late. Talk to them, communicate with them and have an ongoing conversation. They need you, not the junk their friends think they know.

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 12:35 PM
Replies (41-50):
psych_mom
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

LOL. That isle is the most embarrassing for men and boys alike. You would think they would be able to handle it in this day and age, but nope. I had a hysterectomy at 26 so my husband and sons are spared the embarrassment.

Quoting motherslove82:

I know. It amazes me how different my kids are. He has picked up some things along the way. I was buying tampons a couple of weeks ago. He was SO embarrassed to be on the tampon aisle. He kept saying "Mom, this aisle is for GIRLS! Can we go?". It was funny because while we were standing there, a woman approached the aisle with her boyfriend/husband. My 11 year old said "see Reece. If he can handle it, so can you". At that point the couple reached the spot where we were standing on the aisle. The woman stopped to look. The man kept walking, turned at the end of the aisle and disappeared, lol. My son said "See!" and then turned in the direction that the man had gone and said "Take me with you!" lol. He's a nut and the woman was cracking up, too.

Quoting psych_mom:

My nine year old is that way and I know that he knows how babies are made. We were at the zoo and two turtles (huge turtles, lol) started mating and he yells it out and goes on and on about how they're going to have babies, haha. Proud parent moment. With him, I handle these things differently than I do my 11 year old because he is an all facts kind of kid and he doesn't want any fluff or beating around the bush. Just say it and move on, lol. My older one, get embarrased easily so it was more of picking and choosing the right words to use so that it wasn't so uncomfortable for him. It's amazing how kids can be raised in the same house and all be so different.

Quoting motherslove82:

I have talked to my 11 and 9 year old daughters about sex. My son is 7 and has never asked a single question (even though the girls both had a basic knowledge at that age). He just has no interest. I'm thinking that I am going to have to approach the subject with him on my own before too long if he doesn't ask. I go by the belief that if they are old enough to ask, they are old enough to know. I never put them off with "easy answers" or half truths. I would rather they hear the truth from me and not from some other kid on the playground.

jj_bmom
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM
I agree. Me and my husband don't plan on beating around the bush when it comes to discussing sex because the last thing we want is for them to be misinformed on something that can have some pretty heavy consequences.
bluedolly01
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM
This. We have been speaking with our DD about sex / bodies etc in she appropriate ways since she was 5, we wanted to make sure she was getting the right info and that it was not a taboo subject in our house. She is very smart though and is able to grasp large concepts with ease. Just yesterday we were talking about oral sex and how STD's could be passed on through it (she's 13 now). Just remember when you do have the discussions with you child that you don't leave out the bit about the emotions involved, its not all about the mechanics of sex. Too many parents I know leave that out if/when they have "The Talk".

Quoting kmrtigger:

Believe me, mine know all about sex, babies, masturbation, etc. It's something we have ALWAYS talked about. When a question was asked we answered age appropriately, and talked about it more. It's not a ONE TIME talk. It's a series of conversations that never really end.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sammi20
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Ya seriously.. I think its denial that their babies are growin up

AnnaNonamus
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My tween is almost 11- she's autistic, and socially and emotionally, she's more like a 7 or 8 year old. She surprises me at times with comments, so I know she at least has an idea of what it is.

Homeschoolmom99
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:04 PM

We just try to be open and honest! Lucky for me my SIL is a nurse so all the real graphic questions she can answer!

Our son wanted all the answers! And our son is 12 with autism I asked BIL to come by and explain why we close our door when he masturbates!

My ex was so closed with sex and talking about it! This is why his son had a baby at 15! And thought he couldn't because of red gatorade!

Babujai
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I know it's about that time with my 11 year old son.  He'll be going to middle school next year so he'll be exposed to some older and possibly active kids.  DH has said he'll do it but I still kinda want to be there for it.  DH has a tendency to be a little too "real".  I know my being there will make it more uncomfortable...for everyone.  Do you think I should insist on being there?

psych_mom
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM
I thinking would be good for you to be there so your son can be comfortable talking to you about thsee types of things. Don't let it be a one time conversation though.

Quoting Babujai:

I know it's about that time with my 11 year old son.  He'll be going to middle school next year so he'll be exposed to some older and possibly active kids.  DH has said he'll do it but I still kinda want to be there for it.  DH has a tendency to be a little too "real".  I know my being there will make it more uncomfortable...for everyone.  Do you think I should insist on being there?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM
We had some one from the health department come in during 6 th, 7 th, and 8th grade that talk all about abstanence , all forms of bc, and stds. My mom also always wanted to talk about she even talked to my friends about it.
samurai_chica
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:24 PM

my daughter asked me what sex was when she was 5. Of course...she heard about it in school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN