Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Talking to the Tweens about drugs?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:59 AM
  • 15 Replies
What discussions have you had? What do they know? Have they been in a situation that it was necessary to know about it?

Last week while I was picking my girls up from school (4th and 5th grade), I was towards the end of the pick up line. Next to the school is an apartment building, I smelled the distinct odor of marijuana being smoked. I posted something on FB about it, several comments later someone said that a 5th grader got busted for possession last week. I was stunned, shocked and speechless!!! I live in a small, semi-rural ish, and higher income type town; not saying that drug use doesn't happen because of this, but more because I tend to think I live in a bubble and forget that some of the stuff that may have seemed normal growing up in the big city, seems shocking here in my Mayberry-esque town. Anyways it has kind of reminded me that I have to talk to my kids about drugs. We have discussed the body, changes that will occur, touched a tiny bit on sex; we have discussed alcohol, drinking, not drinking and driving, etc. We have never talked about drugs, I don't know why, I guess the subject just never came up. My husband and I don't do drugs, we have smoked weed in our high school/college years, we don't hang around with people who do drugs, so it just never came up. So now how do I bring it up, what do I say?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I started having age appropriate talks to my son about drug use since before he started going to school, and I include alcohol use in those talks. Even though neither my husband or I use drugs, I do know that addiction runs in my husband's family, and so sometimes the talks were about just that.

I've had so many talks over the years that I'm having a hard time thinking about how I initially approached the conversation. Just last week, we had some open talks about pot because another parent with a daughter the same age told me that most of the kids on her daughter's school bus talk about smoking pot and asked me if my son hears the same thing on his bus ride. The other parent found that as an eye-opener for her too since she admitted to not having drug talks with her daughter until that point either. Since we have often talked about the subject before, I had no issue asking my son about whether the kids on the bus were talking about pot. That question led to a conversation again, and then we had a few conversations later based on that. My son was even bringing it up additional information earlier this week related to that conversation too.

So my suggestion is to approach drug talks like you do sex talks. Be open and honest. Have on-going talks about it. Make sure your child feels like they can approach you when they have additional questions about this topic.

Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:25 AM

On a side note, I thought that 60% of all drug use is done in the suburbs. Drug use is probably more common in your community that you realize.

psych_mom
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 11:51 AM

My kids started talking to me about it. They start talking about drug use in school here in kindergarten. My kids are always telling my dad that he needs to stop smoking because nicotine is a drug and it can kill him eventually, lol. Seriously, they also know what it can do to your life. My brother is a recovering addict. He has spent time in prison because of drugs and my kids know this. So we have had very open and candid talks about this. They know if they get involved with drugs it can have very long term, negative effects on their lives- it can mean missing out on college, not being able to vote, not having a good job and struggling for the rest of their lives because of messing up. They know that drugs and alcohol can kill you or result in the death of another. I don't sugar coat these things and I keep it very real.

TempestRayne
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Drugs, alcohol, sex,.strangers, puberty and so on are a.regular.conversation in our house.
coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 4:07 PM
I've always used the drugs are stupid, just say no approach and it's worked. My kids think people who use drrugs are stupid. DS had a DARE class last year and learned more of the dnagers. Can't really remember what they teach in the younger grades but I know it was appropriate and it worked on DS and seems to be working on DD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaytee
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:11 PM
I'm just saving my spot so I can see what other moms say.

This subject is very emotional to me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LostTheSlipper
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:46 PM

We homeschool and it just occurred to me this week I should do something on drug education with DS.  I just bought them from currclick today. I haven't fully read through them yet and I think they're pretty basic (and maybe a little outdated, but seem okay) but  it's a start :

http://www.currclick.com/product/1907/What-You-Should-Know-About-Drugs?term=drug&it=1

http://www.currclick.com/product/1908/Your-Drug-Awareness-%26-Prevention-Guide?src=s_pi&it=1

catngabsmom
by Erica on Oct. 16, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Thanks for the links !

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

We homeschool and it just occurred to me this week I should do something on drug education with DS.  I just bought them from currclick today. I haven't fully read through them yet and I think they're pretty basic (and maybe a little outdated, but seem okay) but  it's a start :

http://www.currclick.com/product/1907/What-You-Should-Know-About-Drugs?term=drug&it=1

http://www.currclick.com/product/1908/Your-Drug-Awareness-%26-Prevention-Guide?src=s_pi&it=1

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:38 AM

BUMP!

MicheleJM
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM
Usually alcohol is the topic at my house, but drugs are too. Actually last night we were talking about prohibitation and its increase in crime. From there we got on the subject of legalization of pot, which my ds knows people want, from TV he has watched. I just said some people think crime may decrease were pot legal. Usually what I tell him is that binge drinking and getting drunk is bad, pot is illegal, not good for you, and hard street drugs can fry your brain or kill you. And he is too young for any of the above.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)