Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

makeup

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM
  • 26 Replies
My dd is 10 will be 11 in about 4 mos. Lately she has been spending more time doing her hair. She wants to ware makeup. Alot of the girls in her class ware it but way to much. I let her ware some of mine this weekend and she applied it very tastefully. We went to my bff's new babys dedication and everyone loved it even dh. Would you allow your dd ware make up at this age? If not why and what age?
I also have to say she has been cleaning all day because she wants us to take her to get some of her own makeup.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
psych_mom
by Stacy on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM
I wouldn't let my dd wear it at 11. If she wears anything at that age will be lip gloss. I just feel it is too young of an age to start emphasising looks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zebra556
by Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 5:27 PM
No on the make up here. Though mine put on a bunch for Halloween. So did her friends at our house. They did have fun. More of a dress up play type thing. But not for school. Lip gloss. Why rush things.
Zamaria
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Yes. I let my nieces wear very light, sheer things at about 9. Usually not any type of powder or foundation, but very sheer lipstick, natural colored eyeshadow maybe, clear mascara and pretty much any nail polish except dark colors just because I don't like dark nail polish lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Trixi.VonLace
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM
We let dd start wearing it at about 11, same deal very tasteful and age appropriate. She's gonna be 13 in a couple weeks and we are letting her do a little more . I personally think its a great age to start teaching the proper way to apply and what is and is not attractive.
purplejbird
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I think if she is interested and it is tasteful then, sure. 

My mom let me, but when I started getting "too big for my britches" and acting up, "grown up" things were ther first to go! (my purse, make up, going places with the youth group)

wenchmommy381
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule to how old is old enough. Sometimes there are skin issues that a little makeup would help or at least reduce so it doesn't become a self image issue. 

My daughter is 6 weeks old, so I'll get back to you when she's older... =P

wakymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I was only allowed some clear lipgloss and light colored nail polish at that age. When I was 12, I was allowed to add some light blush and eye shadow. I'll probably go that same route w/ dd (6 1/2) when she's that age; I already let her wear a little clear lipgloss for special occasions such as church at Easter/Christmas.

dmrstrs
by on Nov. 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM
My dd is 12 and I just let hey start to wear eyeliner and lip gloss but she'll also be 13 in February. I've struggled with whether to let her wear it or not but I decided to show her how to put it on correctly so she doesn't look like a raccoon.
catngabsmom
by Erica on Nov. 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM

we just started traveling down this road, so i have no advice.

Wyldbutterfly
by Christine on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:35 AM

I wouldn't allow my daughter at that age to wear makeup. IMO, it's too young. Just because other girls her age are wearing it isn't justification enough for me. She's 10, not 15 and in high school.

When she starts wearing it, I would introduce it slowly, with a clear lip gloss and maybe some mascara.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)