Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Boys and rough play at school

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM
  • 4 Replies

My son (10) has 3 other boys he seems to stuck to at school.  All in the same class room.  The teacher seperated them all.  My son one day is best friends with them and the next day mad or fighting with one or all of them.  Over the weekend they played at each others houses etc and everything was good. Yesterday my son was saying 2 of them were calling him fat and calling him a prick.   I tried to talk to him and even suggested he choose better friends.   I dont remember so much drama in 5th grade.  So  I get a call from the principal that my son grabbed one of these boys by the neck and threw him down resulting in scratches and bruises. The principal said it was horse play not fighting. I am so frustrated.  How do you get thru to your child what a hands off policy is?  

by on Nov. 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Barabell
by Barbara on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:07 AM

At 10, I would think he could understand the hands-off policy at this point. Usually being that rough--horseplay or fighting--would have brought a suspension at my son's elementary school. In your case, I would seriously ground him for a long time and make him write apology letters. He really could have hurt the other child by grabbing him by the neck.

wenchmommy381
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:46 AM

This- my son is 8 and has already seen the inside of the prinicpal's office for such behavior. How is there not a hands-off policy in the school, where the principal laughs off the scratches and bruises as 'horseplay'? 

These friends are not friends, if 2 of them are calling your son a prick-- they think they're being cool by saying something vulgar. I would be more concerned with that than whether your son pushed one of them, especially if the school doesn't seem to mind. 

Quoting Barabell:

At 10, I would think he could understand the hands-off policy at this point. Usually being that rough--horseplay or fighting--would have brought a suspension at my son's elementary school. In your case, I would seriously ground him for a long time and make him write apology letters. He really could have hurt the other child by grabbing him by the neck.

Wenchmommy381, International Wenches Guild

"I know that something very strange Is happening to my brain.
I'm either feeling very good Or else I am insane.
The seeds of doubt you planted Have started to grow wild
And I feel that I must yield before The wisdom of a child.
And it's love you bring,
No, that I can't deny
With your wings,
I can learn to fly,
Sweet young thing."
--M Nesmith
wenchmommy381
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM

BUMP!

tiredmama42
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:47 AM

I think the principal didnt give a serious suspension because it was horse play and not actual fighting.  He was supended from recess along with the other boys. I guess one of the other boys in the group actually grabbed the boy by the neck and my son pushed him they insist it was playing.   I was letting him spend time outside of school with these 2 other boys and they get along fine then but just not at school.  I really think I should not allow it anymore and force him to choose others to play with. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)