Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tween Titans Tween Titans

Picked up the wrong "Courtney"

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM
  • 7 Replies

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/14/15164460-i-got-the-wrong-courtney-man-picks-up-incorrect-girl-from-school?lite

Courtney Durr was waiting to be picked up by her mom's friend after school in Gloucester City, N.J., on Tuesday. At the same location, Art Deaner was supposed to pick up his friend's daughter, Courtney Fetters.

When Deaner arrived and saw Courtney Durr, who looked vaguely like the girl he was told to pick up, he called for her to come inside his vehicle.

"I told her I was looking for Courtney,'" said Deaner. "And the young girl said her name was Courtney."

"I got off the bus and he pulled up and he asked if there was a Courtney," said Courtney Durr. "I said, 'Yeah.' My crossing guard let me go and I went with him."

How does something like this happen?  I mean, I can understand but there would be NO WAY I would allow a "friend" to pick up my child when my child doesn't really even know him.  Also, if we don't tell our girls ahead of time that ______is picking them up (if its not us) and someone comes to pick them up without them knowing, they are to call us from the school or teacher's class room......EVEN if it's their aunt or grandparent. 

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
psych_mom
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM

This would never happy at our kids' schools. If someone other than the people on the approved pick up list is picking up a kid, they have to show a photo ID and the child has to have parents permission stating that the parent gives who ever (has to have the name of the person picking the kid up) permission. Otherwise the kid doesn't leave the school

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Nov. 14, 2012 at 10:17 PM

My boys were taught to NEVER get in the car with ANYONE unless we called the school and told them before hand. They made the mistake of taking a ride home with one of hubby's friends before. He happen to be picking up his daughter and offered them a ride home because it was raining. They knew him, but didn't have permission to get in his car. So when he pulled up and dropped them off I was very upset. It was then I had to tell them again the rules and safety of strangers and getting in some one's car, etc.

Lorena
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM
My kids are not allowed to go with anyone unless otherwise stated. They also have a secret word. They can only go with a person if thet know that word.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brandi185
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Quoting Lorena:

My kids are not allowed to go with anyone unless otherwise stated. They also have a secret word. They can only go with a person if thet know that word.

i still remember mine and my mom's secret word.

Lorena
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:52 AM
So do I! That's why I do that my kids.

Quoting brandi185:

Quoting Lorena:

i still remember mine and my mom's secret word.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM

We had a secret word growing up, too.

This is bad of me- I can't remember if we set up a secert word w/ our kids or not. . . Guess we'd better ask them, and come up w/ one if we haven't. 

Quoting Lorena:

wenchmommy381
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM

So glad that this guy was on the up-and-up.... or we would be hearing a very different story.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)